Professional Research Asst-Breast Cancer Lab
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
The UC School of Medicine, Division of Medical Oncology has an opening for a full-time Professional Research Assistant (PRA) to work at the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora, CO.
Professional Field: Cell Biology, Cancer, Molecular Biology
Nature of Work: The PRA position duties include basic laboratory research focused on breast cancer biology, treatment resistance, tumor microenvironment and cancer stem cells.
Energetic finalist need not be well versed with all the techniques but should be an involved and fast learner eventually requiring supervision 2-3 times a week in about 3-4 months. PI/Supervisors: Peter Kabos, MD and Heather Brechbuhl Ph.D, Laboratory Manager.
It is expected that the applicant will work on a regular basis with students, senior PRAs and postdoctoral fellows in training, as well as have access to all lab members for help with experimental design, execution and data interpretation.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Tissue culture of wide variety of cells (including patient tissue samples).
- Molecular biology techniques including PCR, western blotting, RNA extraction and analysis.
- Immunohistochemistry, Animal studies, Handling patient tissue samples (blood, serum, primary tissues), Flow Cytometry, Preparing Solutions
- - Maintenance of laboratory equipment and premises.
- - Maintain a research laboratory notebook, protocols, and inventory.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- Bachelor's degree education in appropriate scientific field (biology, chemistry, or related health sciences). 6 months-2 years of detailed laboratory experience using the above described research laboratory techniques.
- Recent college graduates and newly experienced entry level researchers who are motivated to pursue an independent career in science and medicine, and are looking to improve their science skill sets on the job, are encouraged to apply.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA's) required:
- Working knowledge and basic understanding of biology, should be willing to learn a variety of lab techniques.
- Prior research lab experience preferred, cancer research lab is helpful.
- Proficient level with MS Office software preferred, for daily email and assigned lab projects.
- Must be team-oriented, flexible, willing to ask questions to communicate and collaborate within the research lab environment.
- Must feel comfortable to work independently on lab projects, internet research related to lab projects and develop and understand new lab techniques.
- Ability to take direction and be self-motivated to coordinate various lab projects and meet deadlines.
- Show daily and continued interest to demonstrate successful planning and management skills in all assigned behavioral research and/or research projects working with lab team members effectively.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:Applications are ONLY accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID 12628. When applying, applicants must include: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current Resume/CV 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document Please be advised that the University does check references as part of the employment process. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20214 - SOM-MED-Oncology
Posting Date: Feb 13, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Everlyn Sandoval
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00743636