Finance & Accounting Manager
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine | Department of Pathology
Finance & Accounting Manager
Position #743904 - Requisition 12771
The Department of Pathology has an opening for a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Finance & Accounting Manager position.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is seeking applications for a Finance and Accounting Manager. This full-time, University Staff (non-classified) position will be responsible for managing the day-to-day financial and accounting operations of the Department of Pathology. This includes providing advanced accounting and management support to the Department through financial analysis, budgeting, developing projections, verifying and reporting of accounting transactions through the University of Colorado and CU Medicine.. The role will also act as a direct supervisor to several finance and accounting professional within the Department and be responsible for developing and implementing financial objectives that promote the growth and advancement of the Department.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is seeking applications for a Finance and Accounting Manager. This full-time, University Staff (non-classified) position will be responsible for managing the day-to-day financial and accounting operations of the Department of Pathology. This includes providing advanced accounting and management support to the Department through financial analysis, budgeting, developing projections, verifying and reporting of accounting transactions through the University of Colorado and CU Medicine. The role will also act as a direct supervisor to several finance and accounting professional within the Department and be responsible for developing and implementing financial objectives that promote the growth and advancement of the Department.
This position will assist the Director of Finance and Administration with monitoring the integrity of accounting process in order to ensure that financial processes are maintained in an accurate and timely manner. Serves a as resource to faculty, staff and graduate students within the Department of Pathology to keep them informed of financial and administrative matters, and maintain proper compliance. This position is also responsible for the recording, analyzing and maintaining of paper and electronic financial records of the Department, as well preparing and creating financial documents/actions, financial summaries, budget forecasts, and high level reporting as needed to the Department's Director of Finance and Administration.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Directly supervises several finance and accounting professionals (over 4 FTE), which includes: tracking and recording time; conducting performance evaluations; setting team and individual strategic objectives; managing employee relation issues, etc.
- Manages the day-to-day financial operations of the Department, which includes all funds connected to clinical research, grants and contracts, UPI and general operations.
- Responsible for developing, implementing and monitoring the effectiveness of financial objectives that directly support the Department's long and short-term initiatives and mission.
- Oversees the daily general and specific accounting functions of all financial components associated with the Department of Pathology at the University of Colorado through the University's People Soft Finance systems, COGNOS, and the CU Expense system.
- Manages and maintains extensive department accounting systems.
- Analyzes UCD, CU Medicine, G&C, and affiliate Financial Statements for trends in projected income and expenses, and reports issues to administrator and appropriate parties.
- Assists in preparing annual Department budgets, internal and external audits, and summary reporting.
- Assists with financial analysis used in contract negotiation with UHC, CHC, and other local hospitals.
- Oversees grant and contract post-award reporting.
- Designs, oversees, and presents monthly summaries to PI's, faculty leaders, and administrator.
- Reconciles and distributes monthly financial statements.
- Presents summaries and statistical analysis of data for clinical and administration decision making processes.
- Performs and presents capital equipment analyses to DFA and Department Finance Committee for purchase recommendations.
- Performs ad-hoc analysis and reporting for clinical data including CFTE, revenue cycle, HR, and operating expense data.
- Reconciles monthly financial statement against Department records to assure that all expenses and credits are appropriate.
- Determines if any expenses or credits are erroneously charged to the departmental funds; creates journal entries to correct any expenditures that were inappropriately charged to these funds.
- Generates reports for the Director for items not on monthly University financial statements, this includes calculating expenditures ordered/billed through both the University and CU Medicine.
- Reviews financial documents, submitted for fund administrator signatures, for fiscal policy compliance and completeness.
- Provides education to faculty, staff and students in the Department regarding accounting transactions/issues by explaining and interpreting UCD and CU Medicine Fiscal Policies and Procedures.
- Trains other employees in the Department who are performing accounting transactions, by instructing and explaining appropriate documents to use, including proper coding and action sequence of documentation.
- Performs internal audit documentation of department employee's procurement card usage.
- Oversees procurement reallocation of expenditures, and maintaining of records of all procurement card transactions.
- Coordinates standing purchase orders and maintenance agreements requests to purchasing prior to deadline.
- Compiles quotations and purchase requests from professional research assistants, staff and vendors.
- Ensures proper signatory/electronic authority, purchase order numbers, etc., on orders before submitting to Finance and Purchasing.
- Instructs faculty and staff on administrative policies and procedures.
- Oversees the classification, coding, recording, verifying and processing of financial documents (i.e. Accounts Payable Vouchers, Travel Expense Vouchers, Purchase Requests, Standing Purchase Orders, Interdepartmental Order/Invoice) for faculty, staff and students of the Department of Pathology.
- Assures that all financial documents are completed accurately and in compliance with relevant policies and procedures of the University of Colorado, Denver and CU Medicine.
- Independently administers the daily accounts payable and receivable for various activities in the Department.
- Records charges and updates information into the University's financial system.
- Monitors and reconciles ancillary accounts.
- Prepares reconciliation of financial reports and researches and corrects inappropriate expenditures.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or other closely related degree.
- This position requires extensive, diverse and progressively responsible experience analyzing and reconciling complex accounting information and financial statements.
Substitution: A combination of education, which includes at least 24 semester hours of accounting/finance/auditing courses, and relevant experience may substitute for the degree on a year-for-year basis, but not for the specific experience.
- Master's degree from an accredited college or university in a related field.
- Two (2) or more years of professional, progressively responsible experience analyzing and reconciling complex accounting information and financial statements.
- Experience working with University of Colorado Systems (ex. PeopleSoft HCM and FIS, Concur, etc.).
- Experience with fund accounting.
- Experience working with standard accounting policies and procedures.
- Higher education accounting experience.
- Higher education budget management, modeling and forecasting experience.
- Experience with contract and grant administration.
- Experience working with clinical data.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and fund accounting standards for higher education institutions.
- Ability to tolerate a high degree of ambiguity yet work effectively to fulfill the mission, goals and objectives of the department.
- Knowledge of fund accounting.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively, in both written and verbal format, with a variety of people, including faculty and administrators, staff and affiliates.
- Ability to work independently, exercise sound judgment, identify and set priorities for self and others, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent time management and organization skills.
- Ability to effectively explain processes and procedures.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships in a fast paced environment, with rapidly-changing priorities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of PeopleSoft Financial software and University of Colorado financial systems.
- Demonstrated advanced spreadsheet (Excel) skills and the ability to work with Microsoft Office and Outlook.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2). A current resume/CV. 3). List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Matt Bilby at email@example.com
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Finance and Accounting
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20112 - SOM-Pathology
Posting Date: Feb 26, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Matt Bilby
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00743904