Junior Software/ECE Engineer
Seeking a computer hardware/software engineer to participate in the development and test of embedded microprocessor flight software and Ground Support Equipment GSE for present and upcoming space science projects.
• Assist Lead Embedded Flight Software Engineer with:
• Design, implementation, and test of embedded flight software C and C++.
• Defining and documenting development environment and test activities.
• Designing and implementing software tools and test software, including database interfaces, to support development and testing of the flight software.
• Lead GSE effort with support from Software Engineer:
• Designing rack-mounted GSE systems with hardware and associated software to support Spacecraft and/or instrument testing, involving:
• Communications with both flight and non-flight hardware
• COTS item e.g. power supply monitor and control
• Data Storage
• Identify requirements; oversee build and test of the above.
• Define and document development and test activities.
• Performing development and verification testing
• Assessing design failure modes and effects.
• Interact with scientists, engineers, and mission operations personnel to capture needs.
• Attend and present at meetings and project reviews.
For the embedded Flight Software effort:
• Must have experience working in C/C++.
• Good written and communication skills.
• Must be familiar with the CMMI and/or software development lifecycle phases.
• Knowledge of embedded software architecture design utilizing low-level scheduling algorithms and/or real-time operating systems is extremely useful.
For the GSE effort:
Required Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• FPGA and / or digital circuit design for various simulators.
• Working knowledge of harness design and testing.
• Experience operating electronic test equipment DMMs, power supplies, oscilloscopes, etc..
• Strong debugging skills and be proficient at diagnosing problems at the interface level of a complex environment.
• Understanding of communications protocols e.g., SpaceWire, custom LVDS synchronous serial interfaces, RS-422 asynchronous interfaces, USB, and TCP I/P.
• Experience with rack mounted equipment.
Due to U.S. Export Control Restrictions, only U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents may apply.
• B.S. or equivalent in engineering, ECE, computer science, or a closely related field is desirable.
• Familiarity with scripting languages is desirable, as is familiarity with various operating systems: UNIX, Mac OS, and Windows.
• Ability to work well in a team environment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:The University of Colorado Boulder conducts background checks on all final applicants being considered for employment, prior to the issuance of an offer letter. The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and an EPLS (Excluded Parties List System) check. The Immigration Reform and Control Act require that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.
The University of Colorado is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the University of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation or political philosophy in its programs or activities, including employment admissions, and educational programs. Inquires may be directed to the Boulder Campus Title IX Coordinator by calling 303-492-2127. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:Applicants must complete the Faculty/University Staff and EEO Data (application) form, and upload the following required documents: 1 - Cover Letter 2 - Curriculum Vitae This position is eligible for medical, dental and life insurance, retirement benefits programs, and is eligible for monthly vacation and sick leave accruals.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10060 - Lab Atmos/Space Physics
Posting Date: Jan 19, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Freya Olson
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00742492