Senior Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics
Section of Hematology-Oncology-Bone Marrow Transplantation
Senior Professional Research Assistant
Position #743017 - Requisition #12421
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and inter-professional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is seeking applications for a Professional Research Assistant. This part-time, University Staff (non-classified) position is responsible for: Laboratory-based translational research on the functions of phagocytic cells such as neutrophils; conducting experiments; assisting with project planning, data interpretation, authorship of presentations and publications, and lab management; depending on willingness and/or experience, there may also be opportunities for involvement in clinical research.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Collaborate and supervise PRAs and other lab personnel
- Conducting mouse experiments is a major job responsibility (injecting tumor cells into mouse brains, mouse anesthesia, pre/post-op care, following mice for symptoms of tumor growth, medication administration, mouse sacrifice and tissue harvesting); animal facility staff does day-to-day mouse care, so this is not a usual part of job responsibility
- Culturing of brain tumor cell lines
- Conducting experiments using techniques including drug/radiation treatment of cell lines, western blot, shRNA transfection/infection, qPCR, protein/RNA extraction, flow cytometry/cell sorting, immunofluorescence microscopic cell imaging
- Processing newly resected tumors (picking up in OR, preserving, creating cell lines, conducting assays on this tissue)
- Preparing data for discussion and presentation
- Attending department conferences and meetings
- Attending and presenting at lab meetings
- Leading lab management, including purchasing and maintaining budgets
- Supervising PRAs and other lab personnel in day to day processes and experiments
- Potential to participate in the operation of clinical trials and/or pediatric oncology epidemiology research in addition to lab duties if desired
The hiring salary for this position is $45,000 to $52,000. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
- Master's degree in biology or related field;
- Two years of cancer, molecular, or cell biology lab experience;
- Experience with lab mouse models.
Condition of Employment:
- Must successfully pass a drug test through Children's Hospital Colorado
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal background check
Required Competencies: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication in English
- Ability to stay organized with multiple projects/experiments and carry out tasks, sometimes under time pressure
- Knowledgeable of professional laboratory protocols
- Knowledge of lab mouse models
- Cell culture experience
- Previous supervisory experience in a laboratory setting
- Prior experience in presenting or publishing biology research
Special Instructions to Applicants:Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Required Application Materials: When applying at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and email addresses for three professional references. Questions should be directed to Paul Lopez at [email protected]
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20877 - SOM-PEDS Hematology-Onc-GenOps
Posting Date: Jan 24, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Paul Lopez
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00743017