*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine | Department of Pathology, Colorado Genetics Laboratory
Cytogenetic Technologist (Health Care Professional)
Position #2205 - Requisition 12419
The Department of Pathology, Colorado Genetics Laboratory has an opening for a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Cytogenetic Technologist (Health Care Professional) position.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
This position performs highly complex diagnostic cytogenomic testing utilizing standard and high resolution chromosome analysis, fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) studies, and/or chromosomal microarray and SNP array analysis. Specimen processing includes samples for prenatal diagnosis, postnatal constitutional investigations, and cancer diagnosis and treatment follow-up. Additional duties include participation in laboratory quality control, assurance and improvement, and development and implementation of new tests as the field of cytogenomics continues to progress.
This position must adhere to established operating procedures, policies, and guidelines, and is thus responsible for contributing to an environment conducive to effective, accurate and efficient mission and value driven operations.
Examples of Work Performed:
Sample processing and preparation for analysis:
- Initiates, maintains cultures, and harvests cells for chromosome analysis and fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) studies.
- Extracts and purifies DNA for microarray analysis.
- Prepares and stains slides for chromosome analysis; probes slides for FISH analysis; and/or processes DNA for microarray analysis.
- Participates in quality control measures and quality assurance protocols.
Case analysis, summary and standardized interpretations:
- Performs chromosome analysis, FISH scoring, and/or array analysis (oligo- and SNP-based).
- Prepares digitized images of karyotypes or FISH preparations using a computerized imaging system.
- Summarizes case analysis correlating chromosome, FISH, and microarray results.
- Prepares standardized interpretations for case reviewers and laboratory directors.
- Participates in proficiency testing as required by regulatory agencies, such as CAP.
- Under the direction of a Director, Manager, or Supervisor, this position participates in other lab-wide or section specific continual improvement initiatives or test development and implementation.
Participation in orientation, training, and continuing education:
- Participates in the orientation and training of new employees, genetics students, residents, and other health care professionals in cytogenetic, FISH, and/or array processing and analysis.
- Actively contributes to the continued advancement of lab-wide teaching / training capabilities.
- Identifies and assists when additional training of employees is needed.
- Participates in applicable laboratory and community educational opportunities and conferences to stay abreast of developments in the field and maintain current professional certification.
Wet lab maintenance and inventory control:
- Participates in reagent preparation, equipment cleaning and preventive maintenance, supply and reagent inventory control.
- Monitors QC parameters on lab equipment; adheres to Laboratory Safety guidelines at all times through proper handling of infectious materials and hazardous chemicals and wearing proper laboratory attire and personal protective equipment.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in a biological science.
- ASCP certification or eligible for certification as a Technologist in Cytogenetics (CG).
Conditions of Employment: Must be willing and able to....
- Lift, push, and/or pull up to 20 lbs.
- Work in an environment that may expose you to fumes, chemicals, liquid nitrogen, extreme cold, blood/body fluids, and infectious disease.
- Frequently wash your hands, as biohazardous materials may be present.
- Sit and stand for long periods of time, frequently walk, and bend/stoop, as well as execute repetitive motions.
- Work with complex and sharp laboratory equipment, and various chemical and biological solutions.
- Wear appropriate safety equipment when handling biological samples and hazardous chemicals.
- Work within a high-level secured facility.
- Two (2) or more years of experience processing and analyzing specimens for cancer cytogenetic and/or FISH studies.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Understands proper handling of infectious materials and hazardous chemicals.
- Understanding of cytogenetic, FISH, and/or array technologies.
- Commitment to quality, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Analytical individual with team-based problem solving skills.
- Ability to organize, manage and meet diverse workloads and deadlines.
- Communicates effectively with peers, supervisor, faculty and other personnel.
- Self-motivated learner and teacher.
- Computer skills in database, word processing, spreadsheet software.
- Team oriented, adaptable and demonstrates sound judgment in a changing environment.
- Asks for assistance and guidance when appropriate.
- Maintains an understanding of HIPAA rules/regulations and CAP laboratory accreditation standards.
- Basic use and maintenance of laboratory equipment.
- Familiarity with medical terminology in a laboratory setting.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2). A current resume/CV. 3). List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Kathy Taylor at [email protected]
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20112 - SOM-Pathology
Posting Date: Jan 24, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Kathy Taylor
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00002205