Dean of the Libraries
The University of Colorado Boulder seeks applications and nominations for the Dean of the University Libraries.
The Dean of the University Libraries is the chief academic and administrative officer of the Boulder campus's University Libraries system and is a member of the Provost's leadership team that provides strategic guidance on campus academic affairs. The Dean must be a collaborative leader who recruits and retains outstanding faculty and staff and fosters student success. S/he engages with campus leadership, faculty, students, staff, community leaders and partners to advance the university's research, teaching, outreach and service missions while actively promoting information literacy, intellectual freedom, lifelong learning, the disciplinary growth of information and the amplification of knowledge.
The Dean collaborates with peers in other schools and colleges across campus and promotes the University Libraries within the university as well as outside the university at the local, state and national levels. The Dean must manage financial resources strategically and be engaged in fundraising of gifts and other mission-aligned revenue generation. S/he must be committed to meeting the challenges and opportunities presented by the transformative nature of libraries and higher education in the digital age.
Who we are:
Situated at the foot of the Rockies, CU Boulder is famed for having one of the most beautiful locations for a university campus in the world. It is also one of 34 US public institutions belonging to the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU) and is the only AAU member in the Rocky Mountain region. CU Boulder enrolls approximately 32,000 students, 82 percent undergraduate and 18 percent graduate students. The University Libraries system includes 5 libraries - the Business Library, Earth Sciences & Map Library; Engineering, Math & Physics Library; Music Library; and Norlin Library - with almost 7 million volumes. The Libraries has 9 departments, and is currently home to 50 faculty members, 101 university and classified staff, and over 250 student employees.
The University of Colorado Boulder has retained DHR International, a global executive recruiting firm, to assist this search. All inquiries, nominations and application materials should be submitted directly to DHR International. Candidates should submit a resume and a letter of application that addresses the responsibilities and requirements described in the leadership profile. Application materials should be sent electronically (two separate Word/PDF files preferred) to [email protected] For fullest consideration, materials should be submitted before January 7, 2018. Note: Application materials submitted through the CU Careers Site will not be reviewed. Please direct all application materials and inquiries to [email protected]
What we require:
We are seeking an individual with exceptional leadership qualities who will possess:
- Five or more years of successful administrative experience with increasing responsibilities in an academic or research library or related archival repository (or institution)
- A Masters in Library Science (MLS) or terminal degree in Information Science or other related field
- A proven record of administrative leadership and managerial experience
- A record of librarianship, scholarship/creative activity and service that meets the qualifications necessary to be tenured at the rank of professor at the University of Colorado Boulder.
What you will need:
In addition, the Dean will be:
- Nationally recognized in his/her research and scholarly field with demonstrated impact
- Have strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Possess the ability to work successfully and collegially in a collaborative environment with university leadership, faculty, staff and students from culturally diverse backgrounds
- Be able to productively engage in community outreach to build, enhance and sustain partnerships
- Have a track record in cultivating and advocating for a community of diversity and inclusion.
- Excellent budget and resource management skills, success in fundraising and orientation toward consultative leadership will be critical to the Dean's success.
Job Category: Executive
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10031 - VC - Academic Affairs
Posting Date: Sep 27, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: DHR International
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00151160