Research Finance Coordinator
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine | Department of Pediatrics, Section of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition
Research Finance Coordinator (Research Services Senior Professional)
Position #743134 - Requisition 12609
The Department of Pediatrics, Section of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, has an opening for a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Research Finance Coordinator (Research Services Senior Professional) position.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
The Department of Pediatrics is seeking to fill a Research Finance Coordinator position to work in the Digestive Health Institute (DHI) and Section of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition. The major function this role will be to work directly with Ron Sokol, MD, Professor in performing: pre- and post-award grant and research financial management; research administrative duties; research HR duties; and inventory management. In addition, the Research Finance Coordinator be expected to oversee general laboratory operations, as well as be an active participant in the research meetings of all DHI research groups. To ensure standardization and consistency, this position will train with the Department of Pediatrics (DOP) centralized grants and contracts team and will assist, guide and work as a liaison between the DOP grants specialist team and the Section of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition.
Examples of Work Performed:
In conjunction and collaboration with Department of Pediatrics' centralized grants team, this role will manage all pre-award and post-award grant and research financial management to include:
For pre-award responsibilities this position includes, but not limited to:
- Development of section policies and procedures for (pre-award) proposal preparation and review.
- Advise, communicate and reinforce sponsor instructions regarding the application, grant budget, allowable costs, and applicable indirect cost rates.
- Oversees PI's with Bio-Sketch templates and maintain DHI repository for future applications.
- Develop a calendar of submission cycle deadlines (current and future) and other research related opportunities by sponsor and communicate with PI's.
- Assist PI's with preparation, submission, review and approval process of internally routed applications through UCD InfoEd system.
- Coordinate and liaise between CHCO's Research Institute (RI) and DHI PI for future clinical trial activity/budget development.
- Assist with the drafting of letters of intents for sponsors.
For post-award responsibilities this position includes, but not limited to:
- Maintain schedule of sponsor reporting requirements for existing awards - both financially and scientifically.
- Attend regularly scheduled meetings (monthly, quarterly) with DOP Post Award Grant Specialist and PI to discuss financial projections.
- Manage post award budgets with Program Assistant and PIs/laboratory managers. Insure that invoices to sponsors are submitted in a timely fashion.
- Regularly review DOP salary spreadsheets and funding sources for faculty and staff and communicate any changes/edits with DOP Post Award Grant Specialist.
- Attend regular meetings with DOP Post Award Grant Specialist to review all UCD grant related activity and funding distributions.
- Prepare, submit and discuss journal entries with DOP Post Award Grant Specialist prior to submission to UCD Finance as needed.
- Manage CHCO/DHI PI ePER effort certification process to ensure they are timely and within deadline period.
- Maintain grant award files for awarded grants and contracts; will monitor start, renewal and end dates to provide assurance of proper and current award documentation.
- Serve as a resource for DHI PI's and CHCO/RI to help problem solve and document trends.
- Work with CHCO Post Award accounting on existing and future G0 accounts and their financial activity - reconciling regularly for revenues, expenses, payments, etc.
- Provide balances and projections for each grant and contract to PIs on a monthly basis.
- Submission, creation of CU Marketplace purchase requisitions for purchases related to research, as needed.
- Manage funding distributions and sub-receipt monitoring.
- Close-out of awards.
- Reconciling all accounts monthly and incorporating grant contract data in the financial statements for section.
- Coordinate distributing salary and non-personnel expenses appropriately across all grant and contract sources.
- Reallocating expenses as needed in Concur.
- Establishing and reconciling all subcontracts, standing purchase orders.
- Projecting spending for each grant or contract.
- Ensure speed types are set-up.
Research and Sponsored Project Administration:
- Coordinate procurement activities of the section's research enterprise.
- Approve all research-related travel expenses.
- Coordinate lab relocations.
- Approve vendor accounts and invoices.
- Work with the Department of Pediatrics WebSpace point of contact to complete annual UCD space inventory.
- Maintain record of research equipment inventory for DHI.
- Responsible for training/development of students, fellows and junior faculty in all aspects of research finance including grant preparation, budgeting, post-award management, hiring of personnel, and purchasing.
- Establish and maintain excellent working relationships with colleagues, the Children's Hospital Colorado (CHCO), other off-site collaborators and commercial entities.
- Perform all research related duties as assigned.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position has been established at $48,719 - $60,000 and is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- A bachelor's degree in public health, public administration, social/behavioral sciences, physical sciences, nursing, healthcare, finance, accounting, business administration, business, or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- Two (2) years of professional accounting and/or finance work experience.
Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis, but not for the specific experience.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be willing and able to successfully pass a 10 panel drug test.
- Must be willing and able to successfully pass a national criminal and sex offender background check.
- A master's degree in accounting, finance, or business administration from an accredited institution.
- Professional accounting experience.
- Previous experience working in biomedical research operations, grants and contracts management and/or financial management is desired.
- Grant and contract experience.
- Experience working with PeopleSoft HR, InfoEd, Cognos, CIW and/or finance systems.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Comprehensive knowledge of accounting and business practices.
- Willingness to learn new systems and accept new challenges of a dynamic research funding environment.
- Attention to detail, analysis, timeliness and accuracy consistent with sound accounting and business practice.
- Above-average knowledge of computer programs such as Microsoft Office (including Outlook, Excel and Access).
- Motivation, ability and interpersonal skills to work independently and manage multiple projects and customers simultaneously.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2). A current resume/CV. 3). List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Teri Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled
Job Category: Research Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20936 - SOM-PEDS Gastro-GenOps
Posting Date: Feb 14, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Teri Wilson
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00743134