Research Associate- Comcast Media and Technology Center
University of Colorado - College of Arts and Media
The University of Colorado Denver is comprised of Denver Downtown Campus and the Anschutz Medical Campus. The university confers more graduate degrees each year than any other higher education institution in Colorado, offers over 130 degree programs in 13 schools and colleges, and brings in nearly $400 million annually in sponsored research.
The Comcast Media and Technology Center (CMTC), a visionary collaboration between College of Engineering and Applied Science (CEAS) and College of Arts & Media (CAM), is situated in the Tivoli Student Union at CU Denver's downtown campus. The center is led by two faculty Co-Directors - one each from CEAS and CAM. Configured as an interdisciplinary, multidisciplinary, and transdisciplinary center for innovation, CMTC allows a confluence of expertise and knowledge. Through a unique blending of design, engineering, and technology, CMTC's central purpose is to foster a creative environment. The strategic intent is to encourage action-orientated education, research, commercial enterprises, and community services that are empathetically driven, economically sustainable, and environmentally responsible. CMTC operates across the fields of computer science, engineering, design, arts, media, and other relevant and evolving areas of media and technology.
This Research Associate position offers collaborative and independent research opportunities at the Comcast Media and Technology Center (CMTC) at University of Colorado Denver. This position leads and participates in virtual and augmented reality, human-computer interaction, and interactive media technology research teams as a project manager, collaborative contributor, and facilitator. The major responsibilities include providing leadership in the research and creative activities of CMTC. This position starts with an initial 2-year term as a joint appointment in the College of Engineering and Applied Science and the College of Arts & Media at the University of Colorado Denver. Upon successful performance and appropriate funding generation, reappointment is possible.
- Lead and manage research projects in VR, AR, Human Computer Interaction, and broader Interactive Media Technology at CMTC
- Develop new research directions with Co-Directors
- Initiate sponsored research proposals and establish collaborative research teams to attract external funding
- Author peer-reviewed papers
- Assist in CMTC educational and outreach initiatives
- Articulate the goals of the center, both within and outside the unit, and advocate for the center, students, and the faculty in pursuit of these aims
- Work with project sponsor(s) to define project success criteria, timelines, milestones and deliverables
Salary and Benefits:
Salary range is $60,000 - $80,000 commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- PhD, DMA, MFA or terminal degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Design, Animation, or related disciplines (aligned with the programs and curricula in the College of Arts & Media or the College of Engineering and Applied Science) with an emphasis on VR, AR, human computer interaction, computer graphics and visualization, computer vision, or new interactive media technology
- Strong communication skills
- Should have an active research/creative work program
- Should have participated in externally funded research projects under PIs
- Ability to maintain a climate that is collegial, that respects and values diversity, that treats faculty, staff and learners fairly and that is hospitable to creativity and innovation
- Successful experience in grant funding
- A scholarly record commensurate with career trajectory
- Evidence of high-quality research and / or creative work
- Experience in a higher education setting
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Statement of Research Philosophy
Application Materials Instructions:Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 12678 When applying, applicants must include: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current Resume/CV. 3. A Research Statement 4. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document Please be advised that the University does check references as part of the employment process. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Denver
Department: D0001 -- Denver Campus - 30119 - CAM-Dean's Office
Posting Date: Feb 20, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Brian DeLevie
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00729808