The Layer Laboratory (http://layerlab.org/) in the BioFrontiers Institute and the Department of Computer Science seeks a Post Doc to develop new algorithms, computational approaches, and data visualization techniques that empower researchers to solve the genetic basis of human diseases.
We are looking for a talented, highly motivated, independent scientist with strong programming skills. We are a new lab and are looking for a passionate scientist to join the team.
The successful candidate will join a dynamic, growing team of scientists, software developers, and clinicians working to integrate computational genomics into health care. Our research develops open-source methods that enable efficient exploration of large and diverse genetic databases. Ongoing projects include:
LUMPY: mining whole genome sequencing data to identify genetic variants
Genotype query tools: a compressed index and query interface for exploring large-scale genotype datasets
GIGGLE: a search engine for genome annotations
STIX: mining thousands of genomes to find structural variant population frequencies
- Develop new algorithms, software, and visualization tools for genetics disease research
- Analyze genomic data using command-line and web-based computational tools to discover the genetic basis for disease.
- Collaborate with clinicians, software developers, and analysts across multiple academic departments and initiatives to ensure efficient project completion and rigorous research outcomes.
- Ph.D. in computer science, mathematics, bioinformatics or a related discipline
- Proficient in a compiled language (C or C++) and a scripting language
- Ability to work with large datasets in a variety of settings including the use of both web-based and command line tools in a Linux environment
- Collaborative - able to work interactively on projects with a variety of researchers, software developers, and medical professionals to enable discovery of disease-causing genetic variants
- Articulate - able to discuss research design and results effectively with clinical, research and technical team.
- Previous research experience in genetics, medical genetics and/or genotype/phenotype association analyses is a plus, but not required.
Special Instructions to Applicants:The University of Colorado Boulder conducts background checks on all final applicants being considered for employment, prior to the issuance of an offer letter. The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and an EPLS (Excluded Parties List System) check. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.
The University of Colorado is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the University of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation or political philosophy in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. Inquiries may be directed to the Boulder Campus Title IX Coordinator by calling 303-492-2127. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting Human Resources at [email protected]
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Reference Letters (Not Confidential), Unofficial transcript(s), Additional Attachments - Refer to Application Materials Instructions Below
Application Materials Instructions:Applicants must complete the Faculty/University Staff and EEO Data (application) form, and upload the following required documents: 1 - Cover Letter; 2 - CV including a list of publications. Final candidate will provide Letter of Recommendation and Proof of Degree which can be a Transcript which shows the date the degree was conferred; Copy of Diploma; or official letter from the Registrar or the Dean of the School or College conferring the degree.This position is eligible for medical, dental and life insurance, retirement benefits programs, and is eligible for monthly vacation and sick leave accruals.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10763 - Biofrontiers Institute
Posting Date: Feb 26, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Position Number: 00693036