Senior Financial Analyst
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Senior Financial Analyst
Position #606120 - Requisition 12608
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The Budget Office has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Senior Financial Analyst position.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
The Senior Financial Analyst position is responsible for providing overall financial management support to the Senior Budget Director of the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus. The position's analytical work covers a broad range of financial issues and subjects pertaining to budgeting, financial planning, decision-making, and benchmarking activities of the University. The position serves a primary role in the collection, analysis, preparation and presentation of financial data to support institutional decision-making, problem solving, policy development, strategic planning, and communication of information to internal and external constituents. The financial analytics component of the position refers to the use of financial data and statistical analysis to inform decision-making, financial reporting, forecasting, and financial policies and processes. The position will also support the request and operating budget cycles in an efficient and timely manner.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Conducts financial analysis, cash flow analysis, and financial model development for a variety of university programs and services; determines the methodology; identifies data sources; collects, analyzes, formats and presents the data to appropriate audiences.
- Creates and refines financial models or simulations to identify budget targets, predict revenue and/or expenses, net operating income, and cash flow. This involves statistical or economic analysis, data mining, econometrics, and forecasting to arrive at predictive relationships.
- Develops financial tools for stakeholders to help evaluate and mitigate financial risk.
- Develops materials, reports, schedules, charts and graphs that are presented to officials of the University in management meetings and retreats by analyzing historical data, trends and metrics.
- Provides relevant, timely and accurate financial reports, presentations, and dashboards to university leadership to inform decision-making, policy refinement, and strategic planning.
- Supports university stakeholders with the development of financial analytics such as strengths-weaknesses-opportunities-threats (SWOT) analysis, feasibility studies, market analysis, or cost estimation tools for business development or support. Works cooperatively with various organizations external to the university to communicate financial information.
- As assigned, responds to requests for information from leadership, the President's Office, auditors, and outside agencies by compiling information, analyzing data and forecasting revenue and expenditures.
- May assist in the review of department budgets for reasonableness and compliance with guidelines.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary for this position is commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
- A bachelor's degree in business, business administration, finance, accounting, or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- The position requires extensive, diverse and progressively responsible experience, including direct responsibility for financial data analysis, financial modeling, and econometric forecasting.
- A master's degree in Business, Finance, Economics, Public Policy/Administration or a closely related field.
- Understanding of public higher education policies and issues, including work experience in a higher education setting, preferably at an academic medical center.
- Five years of professional experience in project management working with process improvement, benchmarking, and stewardship/efficiency efforts.
- Familiarity with PeopleSoft or other Oracle-based financial system experience.
- Familiarity and experience with relational database concepts and queries (SQL).
- Working knowledge and experience of Tableau and EPMs/financial planning software systems.
- Solid writing skills; excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Possess personal integrity, strong work ethic, and positive problem-solving attitude.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Must be analytical in nature with the ability to work cooperatively with various organizations external to the university to communicate financial information.
- Expertise in financial analysis, including forecasting, economic statistical analysis, data mining, econometrics, and predictive modeling to build financial models and inform university decision making.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically in order to solve problems and drive competitive advantage related to the University's missions of education, research, and health care delivery.
- Knowledge of accounting and budgeting, preferably in a state or university setting.
- Demonstrated competence in the use of MS Office applications, particularly MS Excel and MS Access, for spreadsheets, statistical analysis, graphics, and decision support.
- Strong organizational and time management skills; ability to meet multiple deadlines and manage interrelated and/or complex issues or transactions.
- Ability to take direction and work through projects independently or collaboratively.
- Ability to evaluate policies and exercise good judgment in the interpretation and application of procedures and rules.
- Knowledge of the public higher education policy environment, especially academic health center operations, and regulatory issues regarding intellectual property and conflict of interest.
- Ability to query, analyze, and manipulate financial data from a variety of sources.
- Ability to organize and complete complex projects with multiple deadlines and schedules.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to:Ryan Davis at Ryan.2.Davis@ucdenver.edu
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received on or before February 23, 2018. Those who do not apply on or before February 23, 2018 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Denver
Department: U0001 -- Denver-Anschutz Administration - 60038 - ADM-AVCBF Budget Office
Posting Date: Feb 9, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Ryan Davis
Posting Contact Email: Ryan.2.Davis@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00606120