Senior Professional Research Assistant
UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO | ANSCHUTZ MEDICAL CAMPUS
Colorado School of Public Health (ColoradoSPH)
Center for Innovative Design and Analysis (CIDA)
Senior Professional Research Assistant (Senior Statistical Analyst)
The Center for Innovative Design and Analysis (CIDA) has an opening for a part-time position (.60 FTE) Senior Professional Research Assistant (Sr. PRA) - Senior Statistical Analyst - to conduct analyses of data from the Indian Health Service (IHS) Improving Health Care Delivery Data Project. The CIDA jointly resides in the Colorado School of Public Health and the School of Medicine and is comprised of faculty members primarily from the School's Department of Biostatistics and Informatics. CIDA provides comprehensive statistical support to other Schools, Centers, and Departments at the Anschutz Medical Campus, such as the Department of Health Systems, Management and Policy or the Center for American Indian and Alaska Native Health (CAIANH). For more information, please visit http://cida.ucdenver.edu.
NATURE OF WORK
The analyses will focus on the health status, service utilization and treatment costs for American Indian and Alaska Native (AI/AN) peoples and are supported with funding from the National Institutes of Health and the Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute. The five main types of analyses include: 1) update the project's data infrastructure with more recent data using over 30 SAS programs, 2) update project's cost estimates for providing services, 3) evaluate patient outcomes associated with use of education, case management, and advanced practice pharmacy services by adults with diabetes; 4) evaluate patient outcomes associated with use of advanced practice pharmacy services, costs and savings associated with use of this service, and service cost-effectiveness; and 5) evaluate characteristics associated with obesity across the life span.
The position of Sr. PRA / Senior Statistical Analyst resides in the Center for Innovative Design and Analysis (CIDA) and joins a growing group of currently 17 faculty (http://cida.ucdenver.edu). The person in this position will work collaboratively with the Center for American Indian and Alaska Native Health (CAIANH), a center in the Colorado School of Public Health. The overall mission of CAIANH is to advance the health of American Indian and Alaska Native communities by means of research, training, technical assistance, and information dissemination. More information about CAIANH may be found at: http://www.ucdenver.edu/caianh.
Biostatistics, advanced data analysis and management, programming and data dissemination
This position will be supervised by the Principal Investigator.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
The incumbent is expected to work collaboratively with other members of the research teams and provide high-level, professional and scientifically rigorous data management and analytic support to the research teams. The Senior Statistical Analyst will have a leading role in the data management and integration of different data sources with an emphasis on health status measures, health outcomes, service utilization, financial cost estimates, and conducting econometric research.
While the work is collaborative, the incumbent is expected to work more independently and assume responsibility for implementing more complex analyses than a data manager or entry level statistical analyst. He/she will work with other researchers on the analytical aspects of the research process, including: complex programming, developing analysis plans, analysis implementation and data visualization, and dissemination of results. This individual is expected to co-author abstracts, oral and poster presentations, and scientific manuscripts.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated substantial knowledge, skills, and experience with management of large data sets, quality control, and data manipulation techniques using SAS.
- Demonstrated knowledge, skills, and experience with complex statistical analysis principles relevant in medical research and their application using R, SAS, and STATA.
- Ability to independently analyze and solve complex problems and apply quantitative analytical approaches.
- Ability to utilize econometric methods, program evaluation and other patient outcomes-oriented research methods, and advanced statistical techniques such as generalized linear regression, propensity models, instrumental variable analysis, and multinomial logistic regression.
- Ability to develop site-specific cost estimates for a wide array of services using financial accounting methods for reporting medical costs and provider workloads.
- Experience creating databases from multiple data sources including large administrative data sets.
- Experience with linkage of medical claims data (e.g., Medicare, Indian Health Service) to primary data (e.g., cost estimates).
- Knowledge of public health, health services research, and chronic disease.
- Ability to understand the social and cultural context of American Indian/Alaska Native communities.
- Understanding of HIPAA and IRB requirements for health care research and programming.
- Good organizational skills across multiple projects, self-directed.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills including a positive attitude and the ability to work with a variety of investigators and colleagues.
- Experience working with multidisciplinary research teams in a collaborative manner and maintaining cooperative, supportive relationships with all project stakeholders.
DOES THIS POSITION HAVE FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY?
Salary is commensurate with experience and years of experience, but typically starts at $42,000/year for a 0.60 FTE position.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- Formal training and experience in biostatistics, economics, and data management.
- An MPH or MS in Biostatistics, Epidemiology, Economics or related area
- At least 3 years of previous experience as an analytic consultant/collaborator.
• Experience with public health, health services research, and chronic disease programs.
- Evidence of strong programming skills, including management of large databases.
- Evidence of advanced statistical skills including use of propensity models, instrumental variable analysis, and multinomial logistic regression.
- Evidence of analyzing and estimating medical cost data.
- Demonstrated ability to complete the analytic elements of multiple clinical projects simultaneously.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Questions should be directed to Joan O'Connell at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:A review of the application material will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applicants must apply online at http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers . Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact. APPLICANTS MUST INCLUDE: 1. A cover letter which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three to five professional references in a separate document.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21742 - CSPH-CIDA Gen Ops
Posting Date: Feb 9, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Joan O'connell
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00743730