Clinical Research RN (GI)
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine | University of Colorado Cancer Center
Clinical Research RN (GI) (Health Care Professional)
Position #741349 - Requisition 12062
The University of Colorado Cancer Center has an opening for a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Clinical Research RN (GI) (Health Care Professional) position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
The University of Colorado Cancer Center, located at the Anschutz Medical Campus, is Colorado's only National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center, a distinction recognizing its outstanding contributions to research, clinical trials, prevention and cancer control. CU Cancer Center's clinical partner for adult care, University of Colorado Hospital is ranked in the top 25 by U.S. News and World Report for cancer care and Children's Hospital Colorado is ranked 8th by the same organization in Pediatric Cancer Care. The CU Cancer Center is a member of the prestigious National Comprehensive Cancer Network®, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers working to establish and deliver the gold standard in cancer clinical guidelines. CU Cancer Center also is a member of the Oncology Research Information Exchange Network (ORIEN), a unique research partnership among North America's top cancer centers leveraging multiple data sources and matching patients to targeted treatments. CU Cancer Center is a consortium of approximately 400 researchers and physicians at three state universities and three clinical institutions, all working toward one goal: Translating science into life.
The Cancer Center is looking to hire a full time Clinical Research RN.
As a member of the research team this position is responsible for conducting key aspects of research for Phase I-IV industry-sponsored, co-operative group and or investigator-initiated clinical trials in accordance with the trial protocols, FDA Regulations, and ICH/GCP Guidelines. The person in this position is accountable for meeting study-specific goals and timelines, performing and assisting with clinical tasks related to study-specific tests, procedures, and treatments within scope of practice. In addition to acting as a clinical research coordinator, the RN is also responsible for drug administration, phlebotomy and pharmacokinetic sampling, toxicity checks, and protocol specific tests and procedures specifically related to clinical research studies as well as other clinical duties such as EKGs and Holter monitors as assigned based on appropriate licensure and/or completion of competency documentation and team needs. The incumbent will coordinate study subject appointments throughout the study and is responsible for data entry, study subject advocacy, and possible management of studies at the local level. Effective communication with study subjects, investigators, and other team members is essential for this position. This position is responsible for providing outstanding customer service and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Assures adherence to all research standards as set forth by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP), University of Colorado Hospital, University of Colorado Denver (UCD), National Cancer Institute (NCI) and other pertinent regulatory agencies.
- Relays timely information to Regulatory Affairs Coordinator in regard to protocols (e.g. addition of investigators, amendments, serious adverse events, consent form changes, monitoring visits, correspondence, continuing review and study termination reports) to ensure quality study flow and ensure that all governing regulations are being adhered to.
- Obtains medical history and current medications, reviews protocol inclusion/exclusion criteria, and confirms eligibility of subject. Ensures that the informed consent process has occurred, is properly documented and filed as required.
- Recruits and interviews prospective subjects for multiple clinical studies. Familiarizes potential subjects with the details of the study through phone contacts and personal interviews.
- Schedules subject participation in research, coordinating availability of necessary space, laboratory and physician support. Coordinates with pharmacy staff dispensing of study medication under the direction of the Principal Investigator and/or Sub-investigators.
- Assures compliance with protocol details, completes necessary records, and coordinates scheduling of subject and monitoring visits. Accurately transfers source documentation into Case Report Form (CRF) within 10 working days. Is familiar with all records required for each study, reviews records after each visit for completeness and accuracy. Maintains patient clinical research files.
- Recognizes adverse events and serious events and promptly notifies appropriate parties; e.g. Principal Investigator, Study Sponsor, FDA, Data Safety and Monitoring Committee (DSMC), Regulatory Affairs Coordinator.
- Serves as a contact person for ongoing clinical research studies and meets with representatives from sponsoring pharmaceutical firms or in-house staff for initial orientation to studies and for review of study records.
- Participates in DSMC audits.
Patient Care Responsibilities:
- Collaborates with hospital staff to ensure tests and procedures required by clinical protocols are performed and documented. These include, but are not limited to vital signs, phlebotomy, specimen processing, EKG's, drug administration, Infusions, pharmacokinetic sampling, toxicity checks, and protocol specific tests and procedures.
- May be called upon to perform the following specific tests and procedures specifically related to the research study: a) electrocardiogram, b) blood pressure, pulse, height, weight, and temperature measurements, c) phlebotomy and specimen processing and shipping, d) pulse oximetry.
- Collaborates with the clinical team in developing all aspects of patient care.
- Assesses patient's pertinent health history.
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position begins at $61,194 and is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Graduation from an accredited school of nursing.
- One (1) year of RN experience.
Special Necessary Qualifications: Candidates must have an active RN License at time of application. Candidates must have an active Colorado nursing license or ability to obtain their Colorado license prior to start date.
- One (1) year of RN experience in research and/or oncology setting.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN).
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal communication, organizational skills, and ability to problem solve and multi-task.
- Good command of the English language, both written and verbal.
- Knowledge of common pharmaceutical terminology.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to: Amanda.Kupniewski@ucdenver.edu
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by January 19, 2018. Those who do not apply by January 19, 2018 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20066 - SOM-U of Colo Cancer Center
Posting Date: Dec 11, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Amanda Kupniewski
Posting Contact Email: Amanda.Kupniewski@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00741349