Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
College of Nursing | Sheridan Health Services
Job Title: Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP)
College of Nursing has an opening for a part-time (0.20 FTE) Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner position.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
Nature of Work:
The University of Colorado, College of Nursing, is seeking a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) for a part-time, .20 FTE, position with the University of Colorado, College of Nursing at its Sheridan Health Services community clinic, in Denver, CO 80236. This position is clinic based as a mental health provider, 8 hours per week, and includes an Instructor level, clinical teaching track appointment within the College of Nursing.
Sheridan Health Services (SHS) is a multi-site, nurse-managed federally qualified community health center, funded through the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Bureau of Primary Healthcare; and is a collaborative effort between the College of Nursing and the Sheridan School District. There are now ~40 employees at two convenient locations to serve community health needs primarily for residents of Sheridan, Englewood, and North Littleton. A school-based clinic is located in the Sheridan School District Administration building. The community health center is located in southwest Denver on the Fort Logan campus and provides services to adults and children. Services offered include primary care across the lifespan; prenatal and postpartum, gynecology, dentistry, pharmacy, behavioral health, and outpatient substance abuse treatment. We extend the reach of the clinic through public health outreach where nursing students provide community outreach, health education, and home visitation services. Nursing.ucdenver.edu/Sheridan
Work is performed independently under the general direction and authority of the CEO of Sheridan Health Services. Direct supervision will be provided by the Clinical Director.
Student supervision is required during clinical placements.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Formulates appropriate differential diagnoses based on the history, review of symptoms, and mental status examination.
- Develops a treatment plan with each patient to include: health promotion, disease prevention, patient education, appropriate use of psychotropic medications, self-care, provision of appropriate follow-up and referral to other needed services and therapies.
- Provides case management and care coordination with providers of service including but not limited to primary care providers, school personnel, family members, and other mental health and community partners.
- Evaluates crisis situations and take appropriate action to ensure client safety and the safety of all clinic users.
- Provides general outpatient treatment via individual and group therapy, case management, crisis management, skill building, and psycho-education.
- Participates in scheduled individual supervision, health team meetings, interdisciplinary work groups, monthly staff meetings, and other required meetings.
- Completes all required clinical and administrative documentation to accepted standards of practice, accurately, legibly, and by established timelines on electronic health record (EHR) system and paper as needed.
- Utilizes best practices and provide all treatment within appropriate limits. Complete and follow through with financial and clinical information necessary to ensure reimbursement for provided services.
- Expected to demonstrate high quality customer service focus, excellent communication and professionalism with clinic users, co-workers and representatives from outside agencies and to enhance community relationships.
- Conducts routine chart audits as required.
- Adept at Electronic Health Records (EHR) and EHR trouble shooting, improvement processes, and downtime procedures.
- Participates in after-hours call rotation.
- Provides mental health education to patients, students, families, and/or community health practitioners and groups
- Practices safety, environmental, and infection control methods.
- Provides individualized client teaching and counseling utilizing evidence based practice.
- Identifies deviations from normal and consults as needed.
- Completes necessary documentation.
- Collaborates and consults with other Psychiatric Nurse Practitioners at the College of Nursing and psychiatrists from the Department of Psychiatry as needed.
- Utilizes peer evaluation as part of yearly evaluation.
- Participates in quality improvement efforts for continued high quality care.
- Ensures strict compliance with University and professional policies/procedures.
- Assists with grant reporting as needed.
- Active participation in health plan contracts.
- Remains credentialed by the health plans and ensure credentialing materials stay current.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Skill and Ability Requirements:
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a diverse population of staff, faculty, community members, and clients.
- Expertise in clinical assessment and therapeutic interventions with individuals, couples, families, and groups.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of primary care-behavioral health integrated programs, including fundamental elements of co-located and/or fully integrated services.
- Ability to effectively utilize computer, clinic software, and electronic medical record.
- Considerable degree of independent judgment and work priorities is necessary to monitor and respond to changes in a client's condition.
- Interpersonal skills to work effectively with patients, their families, and other members of the health care team.
- Participate in on-call rotation schedule.
- Availability to work weekends.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Graduate degree from an accredited school of nursing
- Current PMHNP Board Certification
- Current Colorado RN and APN licensures in good standing. (Could be working toward clinical license during application process and registered with DORA-Department of Regulatory Agencies.
- Current Prescriptive Authority (RxN) Licensure or working toward RxN
- Clinical expertise as PMHNP (includes clinical practicum experience)
- Current BLS/CPR Certification
- Prior Electronic Health Record (EHR) experience
- Experience with addressing substance abuse issues and, when present, co-occurring mental health issues
- Experience with adolescent and adult populations
- Bilingual Spanish/English speaking
Conditions of employment:
- Current DEA license or by date of hire
- No grievances filed with DORA or any other state licensing governance board, Medicaid, or Medicare.)
- Valid Colorado Medicaid Provider number by date of hire
- Valid NPI number by date of hire
- Completed CAQH by date of hire
- Must have Colorado RN and APN licenses by date of hire
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:* Attach copy of CPR/BLS certification to application * Attach copy of current licenses to application
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Additional Attachments - Refer to Application Materials Instructions Below
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 12205
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20468 - College of Nursing
Posting Date: Dec 28, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Rod DeVriendt
Posting Contact Email: CON.HR@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00693019