Financial Compliance Auditor
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Financial Compliance Auditor
Position #740388 - Requisition #12739
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
Who we are:
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets. Read more about us here.
The Finance Office has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Financial Compliance Auditor position.
Jobs in this career family provide general business operations of the organization or a combination of operational responsibilities covering multiple career families. Functions include institutional research, statistical analysis, policy development and review, strategic planning and broad unit business operations such as parking and transportation services, risk management, childcare services, real estate and property management, retail services or job responsibilities that combine fiscal, HR and operational management responsibilities.
Professionals at the entry level are responsible for exercising discretion, analytical skill, personal accountability and responsibility in a wide range of areas including academic, administrative, managerial and student services functions. Work involves creating, integrating, applying and sharing knowledge directly related to a professional field.
At the entry level, duties are limited in scope and are performed with guidance and direction from other professionals and are performed in a training and development capacity.
This position has responsibilities in the following areas:
- Campus wide internal controls that are intended to ensure reasonable levels of compliance with applicable rules, laws, regulations and policies on the CU Denver and Anschutz Medical Campuses. This position processes all requests from the campus departments and monitors all accounts for gift cards, cash incentives, petty cash, and change funds.
- Perform all aspects of the Finance Security Access including reviewing and processing forms, granting security access requests, producing and reviewing various access reports.
- Work on special projects assigned by the Supervisor and upper management
Examples of Work Performed:
- Processes and reviews all requests from campus departments for gift cards/cash incentive, petty cash, and change funds and guides department requestors through the proper procedures for approval and purchases
- Reviews each request's internal control procedure, schedule audits related to petty cash, change fund, cash incentive and gift card accounts
- Provides training to department users on best practices of managing the accounts. If shortages or significant shortcomings in controls of a department's petty cash, gift cards or change funds surface, this position would advise the Compliance Team.
- Work closely with the Compliance Team and campus department to address any issues and recommend ideas or best practices to the Supervisor to create efficient and effective process for gift cards/cash incentive, petty cash, and change funds
- Review procurement transactions to ensure compliance with University rules including after-the-fact purchases, expense reimbursements with no receipts, events with alcohol, official functions and donations or sponsorships, and procurement card issuance
- Prepare a debarment report and coordinate with campus Employee Services and Office of Regulatory Compliance
- Review and process Finance Security Access form, grant security access requests, produce and review various access reports to include incompatible access
- Determine if access requests are appropriate, training has been completed and appropriate departmental approval has been granted. Grant access to the Finance PeopleSoft and Marketplace systems accordingly.
- Serves as a subject matter expert regarding the University's Finance access system and assists others by answering questions and troubleshooting issues
- Schedule training for the in-person training for new and current employees to attend training sessions to obtain security access to the applicable University systems and ensure training attendees are entered into HCM
- Verify training completion. If special approvals are required, ensure they have been obtained. Also confirm whether incompatible access is being requested.
- Tracks temporary access and verifies access is terminated if "in-person training" is not completed
- Notify departments of necessary training requirements for access; coordinate annual incompatible access recertification; and coordinate weekly Person of Interest (POI) recertification and follow-up with expired POIs
- Review terminated, retiree, transfer and expired POI reports to determine appropriate access changes
- Update invalid reviewers on the incompatible access table
- Maintain a current working knowledge of relevant federal, state, and University rules and regulations, knowledge of professional audit standards, policies, and auditing concepts
- Perform other duties as assigned
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
What we require:
- A bachelor's degree in business, business administration, finance, accounting, or a directly related field from an accredited institution
- Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis
- Master's degree in accounting
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution Keen attention to detail Outstanding customer service skills Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion Proficient in Microsoft Office including advanced Excel, Access and Word Ability to analyze data, determine its meaning and how it fits together to determine a course of action. For example, this position will run standard and ad-hoc queries, create worksheets, analyze data for correctness and determine its solution if correction is needed. Possess strong interpersonal and team relations' skills Ability to effectively scan the environment to recommend areas for review to reduce risk to the University Well-honed facilitation skills that allow for the constructive approach to sensitive situations Knowledge of University, state, and federal policies Ability to plan, organize, and meet deadlines, work under pressure, and organize multiple projects or tasks
- The salary for this position starts at $47,500.00
- The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter/letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by March 9. Those who do not apply by March 9 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Denver
Department: U0001 -- Denver-Anschutz Administration - 60010 - ADM-AVCFA Administration
Posting Date: Feb 23, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Sara Esau
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00740388