Clinical Research Coordinator
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
The University of Colorado, Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology has an opening for a full-time Clinical Research Coordinator (CRC) to support our Hematology Clinical Trials Unit. This position is responsible for the implementation and coordination of clinical trials conducted by faculty members at the University of Colorado.
About the Program
The faculty of the Division of Hematology are responsible for teaching, clinical care and research in all aspects of Hematologic Disorders. Our division has physicians and advanced practice providers who are devoted primarily to clinical care and clinical research, physician scientists who divide their time between the lab and the clinic and scientists who spend their time focused primarily on laboratory research. Because we take such an integrated approach to the diagnosis, treatment and curing of blood disorders we are able to move treatments from the bench to the bedside in a significantly more timely fashion.
Our patients have access to clinical teams assembled specifically for each type of cancer - and all of these specialists are seen at one location, in one visit. Our medical teams meet regularly and work together to evaluate all cases, plan and deliver treatment, manage side effects and provide support for the entire treatment arc, including helping our patients stay healthy and tackle physical and emotional challenges after treatment.
The Division of Hematology also has the responsibility to promote clinical trials research efforts across the spectrum of hematology, and is committed to investigations involving non-malignant hematological disorders, as well as across all age spectrums.
Examples of Work Performed
- Obtains medical history and current medications, reviews protocol inclusion/exclusion criteria, and confirms eligibility of subject. Ensures that the informed consent process has occurred, is properly documented and filed as required.
- Interviews prospective subjects for multiple clinical studies. Familiarizes potential subjects with the details of the study through phone contacts and personal interviews.
- Schedules subject participation in research, coordinating availability of necessary space, and clinical support (including but not limited to physician, nurse practitioner, laboratory, radiology, pharmacy). Is familiar with all records required for each study, reviews records after each visit for completeness and accuracy
- Abstracts and records all patient data essential to the study onto required Case Report Forms (CRFs) and into the Clinical Trials database, as needed, in an accurate and timely fashion. Maintains patient clinical research files.
- Reports adverse events and serious events to appropriate parties; e.g. Principal Investigator, Study Sponsor, FDA, Data and Safety Monitoring Committee (DSMC), Regulatory Affairs Coordinator.
- Serves as a contact person for ongoing clinical research studies. Schedules monitoring visits and meets with representatives from sponsoring pharmaceutical firms or in-house staff for initial orientation to studies and for review of study records.
- Implements care and services that recognize age-specific needs and issues for customers served.
- Participates in DSMC audits.
- Collaborates with hospital staff to ensure tests and procedures required by clinical protocols are performed and documented. These include, but are not limited to vital signs, phlebotomy, specimen processing, EKG's, drug administration, and protocol specific tests and procedures.
- May be called upon to perform the following specific tests and procedures: a) electrocardiogram, b) blood pressure, pulse, height, weight, and temperature measurements, c) phlebotomy (direct venipuncture) d) specimen processing and shipping
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal communication, organizational skills, and ability to problem solve and multi-task.
- Good command of the English language, both written and verbal.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to interpret and master complex protocol information.
- Knowledge of basic human anatomy, physiology, medical terminology.
- Excellent computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office products
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Education: Bachelor's Degree
Knowledge of basic human anatomy, physiology, medical terminology
Excellent computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office products
Prior research experience
Clinical or research experience in oncology
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 11645
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20164 - SOM-MED-BoneMarrow Transplant
Posting Date: Oct 27, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Lynette Brandon
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00050346