CIRES/NSIDC User Experience Project Lead
The National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC), http://nsidc.org, part of the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at the University of Colorado Boulder, serves as a national information and referral center in support of snow and ice research. NSIDC is a trusted source of cryospheric data and services, and is a leader in research and development within this field.
NSIDC seeks to add a User Experience (UX) Project Lead position to our team of user services representatives, technical writers, and Web site builders. This team supports our scientific communities in accessing and using our scientific data sets, including problem solving, product selection support, help, documentation, Web design, and communication. We are working to significantly improve user experience through front end Web design, proactive help features, documentation improvements, and feeding user intelligence and UX principles into software development teams.
As a UX/UI expert, the role will help develop the vision for UX change, and translate user needs into new UX/UI designs, from concept to specifications, in collaboration with other team members, and leveraging user research. The UX Project Lead will also represent UI/UX needs and design in the development of data applications and services. As a project manager, the UX Project Lead will take the role of Product Owner (PO) for Web front end development, owning the vision and backlog, and will manage a small portfolio of Web and other user-oriented projects using lightweight project management tools and approaches, such as Kanban and portfolio management tools. The UX Project Lead will facilitate team participation in these projects, and help drive them to completion.
• Lead UX/UI design, in collaboration with user and subject matter experts and site builders.
• Collaborate with site builders who are working to build out new features and designs.
• Create and maintain style guidelines, requirements documentation, and any documentation related to the user interface, Web design and brand, and user experience.
• Collaborate with User Services and Technical Writers to develop and maintain user personae and use cases.
• Lead and conduct requirements gathering, analysis, and usability testing.
• Conduct user research.
• Create wireframes, storyboards, user flows, process flows, interaction prototypes, high-fidelity designs, and site maps to communicate interaction and design ideas.
• Work with software development teams to define UX and develop UIs for software applications.
• Keep up with trends and make recommendations for evolving our UX/UI.
• Facilitate a small portfolio of user-related projects within our team.
• Groom the project backlog and work with stakeholders to set priorities and schedules.
• Assist with creative problem solving and issue resolution.
• Organize and facilitate meetings effectively.
• Communicate project status and deliverables.
• Bachelor's degree in a related field
• At least three years of experience in UX/UI design
• Experience designing complex interactions and performing workflow analysis
• Strong visual UI design skills and aesthetics
• In-depth understanding of current and developing knowledge and trends in UX design
• Experience and training in project management and facilitation
• Knowledge of lightweight project management and collaboration tools
• Experience in a customer facing organization
• Strong oral and written communication and presentation skills
• Strong desire to collaborate and to build good working relationships with a variety of people
• Portfolio of UI/UX design work demonstrating your skills and experience
• Experience with Drupal or similar CMS, especially in site building
• Experience working on software development teams
Please remember to redact any confidential numbers from the documents you upload.
Special Instructions to Applicants:The University of Colorado Boulder conducts background checks on all final applicants being considered for employment, prior to the issuance of an offer letter. The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and an EPLS (Excluded Parties List System) check. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.
The University of Colorado is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the University of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation or political philosophy in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. Inquiries may be directed to the Boulder Campus Title IX Coordinator by calling 303-492-2127. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Reference Letters (Not Confidential), Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:Applicants must complete the Faculty/University Staff and EEO Data (application) form, and upload the following required documents: 1 - Cover Letter; 2 - CV; 3 - The document uploaded for Proof of Degree can be a Transcript which shows the date the degree was conferred; Copy of Diploma; or official letter from the Registrar or the Dean of the School or College conferring the degree; 4 -A non-confidential letter of reference This position is eligible for medical, dental and life insurance, retirement benefits programs, and is eligible for monthly vacation and sick leave accruals.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10080 - Coop Inst Res/Envrm Sci - Dir
Posting Date: Feb 22, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: karen dempsey
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00744046