Associate Professor/Professor (Open Rank Faculty)
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Associate Professor/ Professor Department of Pediatrics - Kempe Center for the Prevention and Treatment of Child Abuse and Neglect
Position #693529 - Requisition # 
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and inter-professional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
The Department of Pediatrics Kempe Center for the Prevention and Treatment of Child Abuse and Neglect has an opening for a full-time Associate Professor/Professor.
Examples of Work Performed:
Serves as Section Head for the Kempe Center for the Prevention and Treatment of Child Abuse and Neglect, within the Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, University of Colorado. As Section Head, the Executive Director establishes the strategic direction for the Section and fosters collaboration among Kempe faculty and colleagues at the Department of Pediatrics, Children's Hospital Colorado, University of Colorado School of Medicine, and the broader University of Colorado community.
- Oversees the programmatic and financial operations of the Kempe Center to ensure that financial and human resources are available to support research, clinical, educational, and advocacy/policy activities.
- Develops innovative clinical, educational and research programs to meet emerging needs of children.
- Recruits and develops faculty and interdisciplinary professionals to support the clinical and academic missions of the Section.
- Leads fellowship program in conjunction with fellowship program director
- Supports innovative research efforts in child abuse
- Develops the future generation of pediatric child abuse specialists.
- Builds and maintains partnerships with affiliate institutions and community organizations locally, nationally and internationally.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is $225,000 - $300,000 and is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- MD in pediatrics, psychiatry, family medicine or a closely related field; PhD in Psychology, Social Work, Public Health or a closely related field.
- For those who require a license for their terminal degree, must be licensed or able to obtain licensure in the State of Colorado prior to start date.
- Record of achievement and excellence in one or more of the following areas: clinical care, research, education or advocacy/policy development.
- 5-10 years of experience managing complex organizations, including strategic planning, program development, financial management, and organizational change.
- Experience with and commitment to faculty career development through mentoring.
Condition of Employment
- Must successfully pass a drug test through Children's Hospital Colorado
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal and financial background and sex offender registry check
- Must be willing and able to work on site even during times of campus closures and inclement weather
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Able to build strong collaborations among faculty with diverse programmatic interests, and across campus and community partners
- Knowledge of, and ability to, articulate the current and salient issues in the child maltreatment field from a national and international perspective
- Ability to bring in and build on specialized area of expertise, including research, educational, clinical and/or policy/advocacy work
- Strong interpersonal communication and management skills
The successful candidate must possess the leadership skills necessary to take a strong department to a higher level of academic accomplishment, creating a world-class academic section committed to an environment grounded in operational excellence, diversity, inclusion, and equity. The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- A clear vision for building excellence in all aspects of the academic mission;
- An understanding of current trends in child maltreatment and their implications for creating a cutting-edge academic and clinical section; and
- The ability to manage programs and lead people effectively.
The successful candidate must be able to build constructive relationships with others at the School of Medicine, other professional schools, hospitals and other affiliated programs. The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- An ability to collaborate with constituencies in multiple organizations;
- Success in developing cohesiveness among high-achieving individuals and groups in a diverse section; and
- Responsibility for establishing and maintaining an environment that ensures mutual achievement.
The successful candidate will possess a track record of success in mentoring trainees and faculty. The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Active participation in medical, graduate student and postdoctoral education;
- A strong track record of faculty and programmatic development;
- A history of successful mentorship; and
- An outstanding ability to identify, recruit and retain superior faculty members.
Other Personal Characteristics
- The highest integrity and personal ethics.
- A commitment to community service.
- Outstanding writing and speaking skills.
- Strong organization and process-management abilities.
- Experience leading multiple teams and program development
- Experience building constructive relationships and ensuring cohesiveness among various entities, programs, and groups
- Experience working and leading within an academic institution
Special Instructions to Applicants:Special Instructions to Applicants *Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. When applying at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, applicants must include: A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications, a current CV or resume and the names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and email addresses for three professional references. Questions should be directed to Rob Murchison at [email protected]
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: - Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20932 - SOM-PEDS Kempe-GenOps
Posting Date: Feb 9, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Danette Fisher
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00693529