Software Developer PRA
Who we are:
The Center for Advanced Decision Support for Water and Environmental Systems (CADSWES; within the Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering Department at CU-Boulder) develops scientific software used extensively in the US and abroad for river, reservoir and hydropower planning and operational decision-making. (See CADSWES and RiverWare.) Funded by multiple large water management agencies, the software is continuously and actively developed to keep up with evolving user needs and advances in numerical modeling, graphical user interface, data, visualization, and platform technologies.
This is your chance to find meaning in your day job by contributing to the wise management of scarce water resources. We seek an experienced software developer to join a small, interdisciplinary team of researchers and developers who collaborate with end users to produce our innovative, widely used decision support software tools.
What your key responsibilities will be:
In this position, you will work with project managers, team members and end users to:
- Analyze and document business requirements, and design software to best meet those requirements
- Design and develop code for business logic, user interface and data visualization
- Test, debug and document code
- Maintain and update existing programs, and analyze and fix technical issues
- Identify technical problem areas, analyze and evaluate options, and propose solutions
- Stay current with new technologies
- Evaluate and identify new approaches to modeling and user interactions using web interfaces or other applications of current technologies
- Attend and present at project meetings and reviews
What we can offer:
In addition to a competitive, market-based salary, the University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement (with a 2-for-1 employer match), generous paid time off, tuition benefit and RTD ECO Bus Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
What we require:
- BS from accredited institution in software engineering or related field, or equivalent experience with focus in object oriented software development.
- 2+ year's professional experience in software design and development. (Advanced degrees in CS count as experience and are a plus).
- Proven proficiency in C++.
- Solid foundation in object-oriented design and development.
- Strong understanding of software development best practices, software development life cycle and development, test and production environments including source control management.
- UI development experience.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work effectively both independently and in a team environment.
- Qt development framework
- Windows operating system, Microsoft Visual Studio, COM interaction with MS applications
- Java, scripting languages and XML
- SQL and relational databases
- Web development and HTML5
Special Instructions to Applicants:The University of Colorado Boulder conducts background checks on all final applicants being considered for employment, prior to the issuance of an offer letter. The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and an EPLS (Excluded Parties List System) check. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at 303-860-4200, extension 2, or email email@example.com. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
The University of Colorado is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the University of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation or political philosophy in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. Inquiries may be directed to the Boulder Campus Title IX Coordinator by calling 303-492-2127. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Reference Letters (Not Confidential), Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:Applicants must complete the Faculty/University Staff and EEO Data (application) form, and upload the following required documents: 1 - Cover Letter: please specifically address how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position; 2 - Resume or CV: please include your EDUCATION and JOB HISTORY; 3 - The document uploaded for Proof of Degree can be a Transcript which shows the date the degree was conferred; Copy of Diploma; or official letter from the Registrar or the Dean of the School or College conferring the degree; and 4 - Letter of Recommendation. This position is eligible for medical, dental and life insurance, retirement benefits programs, and is eligible for monthly vacation and sick leave accruals. Please name your document or pdf as follows: Last Name-First Name-'resume'-Position Number. During upload please indicate the type of file (word document or pdf) to ensure accurate submission
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10332 - CivilEng-CADSWES
Posting Date: Feb 8, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Position Number: 00743453