Science Writer / Web Designer PRA
Who we are:
The Center for Advanced Decision Support for Water and Environmental Systems (CADSWES; within the Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering Department at CU-Boulder) develops scientific software used extensively in the US and abroad for river, reservoir and hydropower planning and operational decision-making. (See CADSWES and RiverWare.) Funded by multiple large water management agencies, the software is continuously and actively developed to keep up with evolving user needs and advances in numerical modeling, graphical user interface, data, visualization, and platform technologies.
This is your chance to find meaning in your day job by contributing to the wise management of scarce water resources. We seek an experienced science writer / graphic designer to join a small, interdisciplinary team of researchers and developers who collaborate with end users to produce our innovative, widely used decision support software tools.
What your key responsibilities will be:
In this position, you will work with project managers, team members and end users to:
- Design and write content for web pages
- Maintain web pages' accuracy, ease of use, and user appeal
- Interview water managers, project managers and others to gather necessary data and information
- Design printed marketing materials
- Work with project managers and others to create power point presentations
- Assist with developing and editing user guides and training materials
- Assist in production of internal and external reporting products
- Coordinate and provide editing support for technical publications and research proposals
- Stay current with new technologies in web design, editing applications, presentation software, and other technologies used in this position
What we require:
- BS from accredited institution in a related field, preferably in science, journalism, or English
- Highly skilled in writing with thorough knowledge of grammar and technical writing style
- Portfolio of science-related writing and graphic design
- Experience with web design, Photoshop, Power Point
- Good interpersonal and customer service skills
- Organized, efficient self-starter
- Ability to work effectively both independently and in a team environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge of natural resources, especially water resources management
- Experience writing software user guides and training materials
- Knowledge of FrameMaker
Special Instructions to Applicants:The University of Colorado Boulder conducts background checks on all final applicants being considered for employment, prior to the issuance of an offer letter. The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and an EPLS (Excluded Parties List System) check. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.
The University of Colorado is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the University of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation or political philosophy in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. Inquiries may be directed to the Boulder Campus Title IX Coordinator by calling 303-492-2127. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting Human Resources at email@example.com.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Reference Letters (Not Confidential), Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:Applicants must complete the Faculty/University Staff and EEO Data (application) form, and upload the following required documents: 1 - Cover Letter: please specifically address how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position; 2 - Resume: please include your EDUCATION and JOB HISTORY; 3 - The document uploaded for Proof of Degree can be a Transcript which shows the date the degree was conferred; Copy of Diploma; or official letter from the Registrar or the Dean of the School or College conferring the degree; and 4 - Letter of Recommendation. This position is eligible for medical, dental and life insurance, retirement benefits programs, and is eligible for monthly vacation and sick leave accruals. Please name your document or pdf as follows: First Name-Last Name-'resume'-Position Number. During upload please indicate the type of file (word document or pdf) to ensure accurate submission.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10332 - CivilEng-CADSWES
Posting Date: Feb 8, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Position Number: 00743414