Insurance and Claims Technician
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine/Department of Psychiatry/Division of Substance Dependence/Addiction Research and Treatment Services
Insurance and Claims Technician - Accounting Technician I
Position # 217969 Posting #12395
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
Positions in the class series provide technical support work to agency accountants and program managers by processing financial transactions and maintain accurate and complete records of transactions. Accounting technicians complete and code receipts, vouchers, and journal entries; pay vouchers; process accounts payable and accounts receivable; post transactions to assigned journals and ledgers or enter to automated systems; review source documents for proper authorization, accuracy, and compliance with accounting rules; verify and correct discrepancies and errors; monitor sufficiency of funds in accounts; adjust and balance accounts, and compile data and produce financial statements; and, act as a technical resource to non-accounting agency staff. Positions may recommend changes in various accounting reports, formats, and operating procedures to supervisors.
Work is performed within established and known accounting systems, processes, and operations. Duties include, but are not limited to, computing charges, deductions, discounts, interest, and payments; paying vouchers; processing accounts payable and accounts receivable; processing accounting forms and routing for approval; checking for proper documentation, accuracy of figures and codes, compliance with rules and regulations, and necessary signatures; batching data for input or inputting data into the automated accounting systems; verifying data entered and making correcting entries; collecting and depositing payments and balancing receipts and deposits; maintaining logs and files; and, distributing warrants, statements, reports, etc.
This full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Insurance and Claims Technician I in the ARTS Claims and Billing Department, located on the Ft. Logan campus in southwest Denver and offers both outpatient and residential substance abuse treatment for men, women, adolescents, and families.. This position is responsible for the thorough, timely and accurate research of all insurance claim activities, including claim payments, payment authorizations, denials, and payment reconciliation for multiple payers.
This position supports the Billing Department through timely and accurate research and billing of claim activities. This will include proficient use of the electronic health record (EHR), change of payers, payment entry and reconciliation, coordination of information with counselors and management, tracking and verification of authorizations and compilation of supporting documentation, running of Medicaid eligibilities, management of collection accounts, payment remittance entry, and support of the other billing team members through claim research, payment reconciliation, payment entry for other payers, and all other duties as assigned.
Examples of Work:
- Proficient use of two electronic health record systems (EHR, an on-line claims submission and processing system, and an accounting software system, examples include, but are not limited to: Management of Client Records (including payer changes and address updates, financial/eligibility documentation)
- Research of all clinical activities
- Eligibility Verification (commercial insurance, Medicaid, contract payers)
- Tracking and Management of Payer Authorizations
- Claim Preparation and Submission (including verification of service delivery, proper use of CPT codes, understanding of ICD-9 and ICD-10 codes, accurate data entry)
- Payment Denials
- Payment Reconciliation
- Submission of Payment Approval to the Manager of Centralized Billing
- Proficient use of Microsoft Excel (including the creation, use, and maintenance of Excel Spreadsheets).
- Proficient use of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, and One Note.
- Effective and professional communication skills, including both written and verbal. Written communication should be free of spelling and grammatical errors.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is $32,220 - $34,000. This position is eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus and ARTS is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. To ensure ARTS program integrity, prospective employees may be required to submit to pre-employment urine testing.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus and ARTS is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- High School Diploma or GED (copy of transcripts or certificate must be attached)
- One year of experience in the health insurance arena, to include insurance claims processing, billing of verified services via claim form, verification of benefits and/or eligibility with various insurance companies and/or payers, research and review of complex issues and/or denials, as well as experience with payment entry and reconciliation
Conditions of Employment:
- Must agree to fingerprinting and criminal background check. Required background checks include a review with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) AND the Central Registry of Child Protection (Trails).
- College or university course work appropriate to the work assignment, may substitute on a year for year basis for the experience but not for the specific experience
- One year of experience in the health insurance arena, to include insurance claims processing, billing of verified services via claim form, verification of benefits and/or eligibility with various insurance companies and/or payers, research and review of complex issues and/or denials, as well as experience with payment entry and reconciliation within the last 5 years.
Competencies (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities):
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Superior attentiveness to detail and accuracy
- Demonstrated commitment and ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Experience using an Electronic Health Record
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs and ability to learn software programs
- Excellent data entry skills
- Superior time management skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Outstanding research skills
- Outstanding analytical skills
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter/letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Gina Marin-Taylor at Gina.email@example.com
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Finance and Accounting
Primary Location: Denver
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20280 - SOM-PSYCH-ARTS SP/G
Posting Date: Jan 19, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Gina Marin-Taylor
Posting Contact Email: Gina.Marin-Taylor@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00217969