Instructor - Advanced Practice Provider
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics - Section of Critical Care Medicine
Instructor - Pediatric Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant
Position # 741361 - Requisition # 11910
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
The Department of Pediatrics, Critical Care Section has an opening for a full time Instructor/Physician Assistant/Pediatric Nurse Practitioner to work in the Pediatric ICU at the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora. Members of the Pediatric Critical Care Section provide care to critically ill patients at Children's Hospital Colorado, participate in the education of fellows, house staff, advanced practitioners and students and are active in a variety of research fields. The Instructor/Physician Assistant/Pediatric Nurse Practitioner will primarily contribute through provision of patient care to critically ill patients at Children's Hospital Colorado, but will also participate in the educational and research missions of the section.
Examples of Work Performed:
Provides/coordinates clinical practice for patients admitted to the Pediatric Critical Care service or for whom the Pediatric Critical Care service is consulting, 24 hours a day, through the collaborative practice agreement and under the supervision of the on-call attending physician who is either on site or available by pager or phone.
- Provides evidence-based clinical care to pediatric patients in the PICU.
- Gathers pertinent information systematically and skillfully from all sources: history, diagnostic tests, and comprehensive physical examinations, behavioral and developmental assessments.
- Incorporates all assessment findings into a plan to direct patient management.
- Round daily on all patients in the PICU based upon a rotating schedule and collaborate with the attending physician, other attending physicians from referral services, and with the healthcare team to assess, diagnose, plan, set priorities and realistic outcomes, and evaluate the effectiveness and cost efficiency of patient care.
- Evaluates patient physiological and behavioral responses to interventions for revision of management plans.
- Documents daily all relevant data including but not limited to results of diagnostic tests, laboratory results, patients' condition, response to therapies/interventions, and follow-up interventions.
- Differentiates normal and abnormal variations for all body systems.
- Accurately interprets diagnostic tests.
- Develops problem lists with associated differential diagnosis.
- Communicates with the family regarding the changing health care needs of their child.
- Assesses family adaptation, coping skills and the need for crisis or other interventions.
- Establishes appropriate priorities of care.
- Utilizing available resources (PharmD, formulary, consulting services) plans and implements appropriate pharmacologic therapies.
- Accurately and appropriately performs routine diagnostic and therapeutic techniques according to established protocol and current pediatric critical care standards.
- Initiates and performs measures necessary to resuscitate and stabilize a compromised pediatric patient according to current critical care and AHA standards.
- Initiates referrals based on patient/family needs.
- Communicates verbally all pertinent patient information to the on call attending physician, nursing staff, and other relevant healthcare providers.
- Role models competence in advanced critical care skills.
- Utilizes prescriptive privileges for identified patient population.
- Keeps knowledge base current by reading professional literature, attending educational programs, and reviewing changes in health legislation and relevant professional research.
- Develops, implements, and promotes educational and support resources, following institutional processes.
- Utilizes evidence-based data and provide leadership to improve outcomes.
- Utilizes evidence-based decision-making in all clinical practice.
- Incorporates clinical research finding in the development and implementation of standards of care.
- Supports IRB approved clinical research/trials through a variety of activities including but not limited to: obtaining consent, ordering diagnostic tests, recording laboratory and diagnostic results, administering therapeutic interventions, and reporting patient outcomes including toxicities or adverse events.
- Participates in interdisciplinary quality improvement and/or research activities.
- Participates in documenting outcome measures.
- Identifies potential areas for research.
PLEASE NOTE: For selected candidates, the Section of Critical Care will cover travel expenses related to the interview process as well as relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- Graduation from an APAP approved Physician Assistant Training Program.
- Certification from the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants.
- Colorado license will be required prior to start date.
- BLS and PALS certification will be required prior to start date.
Pediatric Nurse Practitioner:
- Graduate of an accredited BSN program.
- APN licensure and a Masters from an accredited Nurse Practitioner program.
- BLS and PALS certification will be required prior to start date.
- Pediatric Nursing Certification Board certificate or other comparable certification required.
- Acute Care Nurse Practitioner certification required.
- Ability to obtain Prescriptive Authority in the State of Colorado. Will need to qualify for and obtain prescriptive authority within one year of beginning position.
Condition of Employment:
- Must successfully pass a drug test through Children's Hospital Colorado.
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal and sex offender background check.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to handle stressful situations with professional composure.
- Skill in prioritizing patient and system needs appropriately.
- Knowledge and skill in customer service delivery.
- Ability to work well both independently and as part of a team.
- Well organized and efficient in their work.
- Knowledge of quality improvement, family centered care, and evidence based practice.
- Two or more years of experience managing or caring for critical care and intermediate patients in a tertiary care center.
- Desire to work with the pediatric population.
- Ability to adapt to a frequently changing environment.
- Ability to critically evaluate complex and conflicting information streams.
- Leadership experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: - Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Required Application Materials: When applying at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and email addresses for three professional references. 4. Optional Professional recommendation letters Questions should be directed to Christopher Newman at [email protected]
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20999 - SOM-PEDS Critical Care-GenOps
Posting Date: Nov 29, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Christopher Newman
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00741361