Benefits Administration Manager
Employee Services provides the University of Colorado community with services from recruitment to retirement. The department provides functional and technical expertise in the areas of benefits, financial education, human resources, internal tax, learning and development, payroll, retirement and technologies. Employee Services strives to create a workforce that is stronger, healthier and more secure.
The Manager of Benefits Administration is responsible for the administration of benefit activities including managing the day-to-day operations of the unit, serving as a subject matter expert on department projects and as the primary point of contact for team members. The Manager of Benefits Administration must maintain strong relationships with all vendors to support CU's strategic competitive position with regard to employee health and retirement benefits, and must be able to be the subject matter expert on eligibility and enrollment policies. This person will ensure that all service level agreements, department milestones, and goals are met.
The Manager of Benefits Administration must be an effective learner and have the ability to quickly develop extensive knowledge of department processes while ensuring all activities follow mandated state and federal requirements. The successful individual will demonstrate effective leadership, process design capability, flexibility, and a willingness to effectively manage multiple simultaneous priorities. This position reports to the Director of Benefits and is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified Staff system.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties and Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for administration of all employee benefits to include but not limited to, medical, dental, life, disability, pension, savings and flexible spending programs for CU employees, tuition waiver, retirees and their dependents.
- Ensure CU stays in compliance with state and federal regulations and plan documents.
- Review documentation of process to identify areas of opportunity to create efficiency
- Establish and maintain working relationships with benefit providers and other internal departments to expedite delivery of benefits.
- Collaborate with other campus HR departments, multiple divisions within the campuses, payroll, data team, accounting, etc.to ensure success of benefits team.
- Implement Open Enrollment periods and educate employees with information to understand company benefits and other related incentive programs.
- Ensure distribution of required employee notices occurs consistently and timely.
- Program Policy and Guidelines
- Serves as the subject matter expert for eligibility policies.
- Evaluates, drafts, implements and interprets broad policies/guidelines for program execution.
- Negotiates with internal and external groups to facilitate approval and execution of policy/guidelines.
- Complex Customer Service
- Provide special guidance and assistance to all CU campuses on various employee situations pertaining to eligibility and benefits enrollment.
- Maintain contact in person, and by phone or mail, with insurance companies, employees, and beneficiaries to facilitate proper and complete utilization of benefits for all employees.
- Research and resolve escalated and complex employee questions and problems by identifying root cause and interpreting benefit policies and procedures.
- Oversight of Benefits Appeals process.
- Ensure the integrity and effectiveness of employee communications - review and edit content for direct employee communications and general audience (such as website or videos).
- Author direct communications to particular employee groups for specific situations.
- Issue resolution - proactively and quickly identify issues and communicate effectively with plan administrators to prevent/resolve matters.
- Manages all benefits team members (8 FTE benefit professionals) - responsible for the performance management and hiring of the employees within the department.
- Hire new benefit team members by selecting, orienting, and overseeing training of new employees.
- Author strategic performance plans to support the objectives of CU, Employee Services, and the department.
- Maintains quality oversight by conducting regular reviews of team members' work to evaluate for accuracy and overall delivery of services and customer experience. Provide regular feedback to team members and coach for improvement.
- Manage team schedules - leave requests, outreach office staffing, time monitoring and approval.
- Manage operational requirements for projects - scheduling, assigning, and designing operational procedures.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
To be successful in this position, candidates will need the following:
- Supervision, coaching, and mentoring.
- Knowledge of Affordable Care Act (ACA) policies/procedures.
- Knowledge of benefit administration and benefit structure.
- Technology knowledge of data base management, Microsoft Office Suite, and Human Resource Information (HRIS) systems.
- Ability to be both proactive and flexible.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Interpersonal Skills and conflict resolution techniques.
- Highly developed communication skills.
- Team management skills.
- Managing processes and process improvement.
- Analytical skills.
Who we are: System Administration, which also houses the Office of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver with an office in Broomfield and a few smaller offices located on the campuses. This position is located in Denver. Many of our departments support the educational and research missions of the four University of Colorado campuses. We provide diverse opportunities for professional development, innovation, and collaboration with talented staff and faculty.
What we offer: Salary: The salary has been established at $70,000-$75,000.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Disability, Vision, Life and Wellness
- Retirement: 10% Employer Match
- Paid Time Off
- Tuition Benefit
- ECO Pass
For more information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- Bachelor's degree in from an accredited institution of higher education or equivalent experience (experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year for year basis).
- Five (5) years of experience in a benefits/health related area, which must include:
- Vendor Management
- Project Management
- Experience creating operational policies and procedures
- Three (3) years of hands-on supervisory experience.
- Certified Benefits Professional (CBP), Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS), or other HR certification desirable.
- Experience with large scale project leadership.
- Experience conducting an employee benefits open enrollment.
- PeopleSoft HCM 9.0 with knowledge of the HCM application and processes for Base Benefits/Benefits administration.
Special Instructions to Applicants:For full consideration completed applications must be submitted by February 28, 2018. Reference checking is a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including email addresses, for up to five references as part of the search process for this position. *Please note: All application materials must be submitted through CU Careers; emailed materials will not be considered.*
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires a verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:You must attach a cover letter, resume, and references to your application as three separate documents. Please identify the job specific minimum qualifications you possess in your cover letter. Also, ensure you check the "Job Specific Attachments" box next to each document on the "Required Documents" page of the application for the appropriate documents to be attached.
Job Category: Human Resources
Primary Location: Denver
Department: S0001 -- System Administration - 51000 - Employee Services
Posting Date: Feb 14, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Michelle Martinez
Posting Contact Email: Michelle.Martinez@cu.edu
Position Number: 00701285