Associate Director for Administration & Finance
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
University of Colorado Cancer Center
Associate Director for Administration & Finance
Position # 00613855 - Requisition 12586
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Cancer Center has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Associate Director for Administration & Finance position.
Within the University of Colorado, this position is equivalent to a Director of Finance and Administration. The working title of this position has been updated to reflect common naming convention across Cancer Centers throughout the United States.
The University of Colorado Cancer Center (UCCC) is seeking an Associate Director for Administration and Finance. The UCCC, located on the Anschutz Medical Campus, is Colorado's only National Cancer Institute (NCI) designated comprehensive cancer center, a distinction recognizing its outstanding contributions to basic research, clinical trials, prevention and cancer control research. UCCC's clinical partner for adult care, University of Colorado Hospital, is ranked in the top 15 hospitals nationwide by U.S. News and World Report and Children's Hospital Colorado is ranked 8th by the same organization in pediatric cancer care. The UCCC is a member of the prestigious National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN), an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers working to establish and deliver the gold standard in cancer clinical guidelines. UCCC is also a member of the Oncology Research Information Exchange Network (ORIEN), a unique research partnership among North America's top cancer centers leveraging multiple data sources and matching patients to targeted treatments. UCCC is a consortium of approximately 260 researchers and physicians at three state universities and three clinical institutions, all working towards its vision to prevent and cure cancer while being a global model for patient care delivery, interdisciplinary research, and training.
Nature of Work
The Associate Director (AD)/DFA has primary oversight and responsibility for the administrative and financial components of the UCCC research programs, including basic, clinical, transitional, and prevention and control research programs. The AD is a member of the senior leadership team responsible for strategic planning, policy development and execution, and Cancer Center Support Grant (CCSG) leadership and oversight.
This position reports to the Director of the Cancer Center. In addition to direction and guidance from the Director of the Cancer Center, the position has a dotted line reporting relationship to the Senior Associate Dean for Administration and Finance.
The Associate Director oversees the daily administrative and financial operations of the center, and provides leadership to promote the Center's collaboration with other academic and healthcare units of the Cancer Center. The Center employs approximately 230 technical and administrative staff and is fiscally responsible for the partial support of approximately 35 faculty who provide leadership and resource management within the Center. Managers of the operational areas within UCCC (Research Administration, Finance, Human Resources, Operations, Communications, Clinical Investigations, and Information Technology) will report directly to the AD. The AD has oversight of technical staff employed within the Shared Resource Service facilities supported by the Cancer Center Support Grant and the AD participates in the direction and evaluation of development personnel and activities.
Examples of Work Performed
The Associate Director/DFA has a high degree of authority and, in partnership with the Director, directs the operations and finances of the Cancer Center. Key functional areas of responsibility include:
- Providing oversight and leadership of the administrative and financial operations of the Cancer Center. Areas of responsibilities include financial management, grants and contract administration, Human Resources management, clinical research management (including Oncology Clinical Research Support Team and Cancer Clinical Trials Office), internal Information Technology operations management, space, communications/public relations, and general administrative operations.
- Supervising a management team that provides expert management in the areas of finance, research administration, clinical research, information technology, and communications management.
- Providing advice and expertise to the strategic and fiscal planning initiatives of the UCCC. The AD will be responsible for the overall development, revision, and execution of the UCCC Strategic Plan and its fiscal execution.
- Representing the UCCC and appropriate institutional officials with a variety of advisory agencies, including state and federal governmental entities, external private and public organizations, fundraising and advocacy groups, among others.
- Representing the UCCC on appropriate boards and committees of member organizations such as NCCN, ORIEN, and Association of American Cancer Institutes (AACI).
- Participates as appropriate or required in School of Medicine and campus planning and operational management structures.
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
Salary and Benefits
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- A bachelor's degree in business, business administration, finance, accounting , education, social sciences, science, healthcare administration, public administration, communications, information systems, or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- Ten (10) years of leadership and relevant experience in a large academic medical center, with a preference for experience within an NCI-Designated cancer center including experience in fund management, budgeting and forecasting.
- Experience in organizational strategic planning initiatives.
- Experience in employee supervision including staff at the management level.
- Experience in providing administrative leadership in a grant funded academic institution with particular focus on federal awards.
- Master's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Healthcare Administration, or related field from an accredited university.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong financial management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Thorough knowledge of federal rules and regulations regarding NCI Center grants and special programs.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter/letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Kim Gall at Kim.Gall@ucdenver.edu
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to complete applications received by March 15, 2018. Those who do not apply by March 15, 2018 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20066 - SOM-U of Colo Cancer Center
Posting Date: Feb 13, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Kim Gall
Posting Contact Email: Kim.Gall@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00613855