University of Colorado School of Medicine
Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics, Section of Genetics - Genetic Counselor
Position # 742442 - Requisition # 
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and extraprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus is seeking applications for a Genetic Counselor. This full-time position, University Staff (non-classified) position is responsible for:
- Knowledge of principles of genetics and inborn errors of metabolism.
- Knowledge of standard inpatient and outpatient clinical operations and procedures.
- Ability to develop and present educational information to patients as well as to professionals.
- Ability to provide genetic counseling, and technical information in a comprehensive, understandable, nondirective manner to patients and families.
- Ability to work independently as well as serving as a team member.
- Ability to gather data and prepare reports.
- Skilled in communication, both oral and written.
- Skilled in establishing priorities.
- Requires ability to travel via car to outreach clinics.
- Ability to develop collaborative or independent research projects
- Educational skills to various learners
Examples of Work Performed:
- Provide outpatient and inpatient genetic counseling with known or suspected genetic disorders and inborn errors of metabolism.
- Share on-call responsibilities with the other faculty.
- Participate in the education of genetic residents, medical students, pediatric residents, and genetic counseling students.
Graduated from an accredited genetic counseling program.
ABGC board eligible and receive certification within 12 months of hire.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of principles of genetics and inborn errors of metabolism. Knowledge of standard inpatient and outpatient clinical operations and procedures. Ability to develop and present educational information to patients as well as to professionals. Ability to provide genetic counseling, and technical information in a comprehensive, understandable, nondirective manner to patients and families. Ability to work independently as well as serving as a team member. Ability to gather data and prepare reports. Skilled in communication, both oral and written. Skilled in establishing priorities. Requires ability to travel via car to outreach clinics. Ability to develop collaborative or independent research projects Ability to teach and develop various learners.
Experience in one or more specialty clinics
Active involvement with the department's genetic counseling students.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Reference Letters (Not Confidential)
Application Materials Instructions:Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. When applying at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and email addresses for three professional references. 4. Professional recommendation letters
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20873 - SOM-PEDS Genetics & Metabolics
Posting Date: Jan 19, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Kathleen Brown
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00742442