Health Care Technician
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine | Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes
Health Care Technician (Health Care Tech I)
Position #743102 - Requisition 12654
The Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes has an opening for a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Health Care Technician (Health Care Tech I) position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
The Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes has an opening for a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Health Care Technician (Health Care Tech I) position. This role will be responsible for assisting with front check-in duties at the adult diabetes clinic, this includes taking vitals and the medical history of patients. This role will also be responsible for assisting the adult clinic providers with prescriptions and insurance issues.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Front desk duties, including answering phones and scheduling appointments in EMR (EPIC).
- Operating phone, fax and computer (Microsoft Office).
- Collecting, verifying and processing insurance, referral and billing information.
- Rooming patients and preparing exam rooms for patients.
- Organizing and filing patient charts.
- Taking vital signs on patients (height, weight and blood pressure).
- Taking basic patient histories and updating medications in the EMR.
- Assisting Adult Clinic providers with obtaining Insurance Prior Authorizations for medications and medical devices (insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitors).
- Taking prescriptions requests from patients/Pharmacies and entering into EMR (EPIC) for approval by provider.
- Working with Insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies to understand preferred formulary medications and obtaining Prior Authorizations when necessary.
- Using on-line Prior Authorization systems such as Covermymeds.
- Provides good customer service to patients and pharmacies.
- Downloading insulin pumps, glucose meters and other devices used for diabetes care.
- Practicing good HIPAA compliance.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position starts at $34,260 and is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- High School diploma or General Education Diploma (GED).
- One (1) or more years of experience working in a medical setting.
- Experience working with medical professionals.
- Medical Assistant experience.
- Experience working with Electronic Medical Record and medical terminology.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- This is position requires interest in patient care and medical research.
- Ability to be self-directed, detail-oriented, and adaptable in a high-intensity environment.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required as well.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2). A current resume/CV. 3). List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Talisha Bell at [email protected]
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20061 - SOM-Barbara Davis Center
Posting Date: Feb 14, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Talisha Bell
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00743102