University of Colorado School of Medicine
Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics,
Section of Hematology, Oncology and Bone Marrow Transplantation
Position #743943 - Requisition #12720
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
The Department of Pediatrics Section of Hem/Onc/BMT has an opening for a full-time Instructor. This position will serve as a Faculty member of Hematology, Oncology and Bone Marrow Transplantation located on the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora. You will be based at the Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders (CCBD) Anschutz site of practice. You will have a 0.2 CFTE clinical effort.
Examples of Work Performed:
Laboratory Job Responsibilities:
- This position reports directly to Dr. Terry Fry. The candidate for this position is responsible for aiding in multiple projects relating to CAR T cells, with an opportunity to oversee an independent research project.
- Daily handling of human blood products and mice, and analysis of these using molecular biology and flow cytometry applications.
- Assist and supervise with laboratory organization, maintaining reagents, and preparation of common lab supplies.
Clinical Job Responsibilities:
- Provides comprehensive medical care to Pediatric Hematology, Oncology and/or Bone Marrow/Stem Cell Transplant patients and their families in both Inpatient and Outpatient Settings. Manages patient care in collaboration with other physicians, care providers and other members of the interdisciplinary team.
- Participates in teaching and research activities.
- Duties in this faculty position include teaching, research, and service responsibilities. In this capacity, the position will seek new biological targets for relevant therapies for pediatric cancers to be used in phase 1/2 clinical trials.
- Actively supervise and mentor fellows and graduate students, including career guidance and teaching.
- Approximately 4 weeks per year coverage as the attending physician responsible for oversight of the inpatient Oncology service
- Share holiday and weekend call with other Hem/Onc/BMT faculty members
- Provide coverage outpatient clinics at Children's Hospital Colorado, which may also include occasional clinic coverage at the South and/or Colorado Springs Campuses.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- MD or DO;
- Board eligible in Pediatric Hematology/Oncology;
- Active or ability to attain a Colorado state license and DEA certification;
- Completed a Fellowship in pediatric Hematology/Oncology.
Condition of Employment:
- Must successfully pass a drug test through Children's Hospital Colorado;
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal and sex offender background check;
- Continuous Maintenance of Board Certification(s) is required;
- Meet all Children's Hospital Colorado credentialing requirements and continuous active medical staff status;
- Maintain a current Colorado State Medical License and DEA certification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to independently care for and manage complex Pediatric Hematology, Oncology, BMT patients in an academic setting;
- High customer service skills, team-based patient care, and ability to meet productivity targets are expected.
- 2 years of experience in independent care of pediatric Hematology, Oncology, BMT patients
- Pediatric BMT subspecialty training (substitute for a year of experience above)
- Qualified to receive sustained independent funding of clinical research or laboratory work, with preference given to candidates who have secured at least one cycle of renewed funding.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Required Application Materials: When applying at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and email addresses for three professional references. Questions should be directed to Terry Fry at Terry.Fry@ucdenver.edu.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: - Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20877 - SOM-PEDS Hematology-Onc-GenOps
Posting Date: Feb 22, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Terry Fry
Posting Contact Email: Terry.Fry@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00743943