Child Care Aide
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine/Department of Psychiatry/Addiction Research and Treatment Services/The Haven
Position #00675625 - Requisition 12041
This full-time, University Staff (non-classified) position will assist with providing direct childcare to young children (infants, toddlers and preschoolers) by: meeting children's needs (cognitive, physical, social and emotional); providing an enriching, safe and clean learning environment for children; following all agency, child care licensing and quality standards; providing developmentally appropriate activities to children; following curriculum guidelines; providing consistent, positive and productive communication with all stake holders (children, families, team members, volunteers, service providers).
The Baby Haven Child Care and Early Education Center located in Southwest Denver (Hampden and Federal) is state-of-the-art childcare facility offering the highest quality of care and educational services. As a licensed and Colorado Shines rated center, the Baby Haven provides care to children ages 6 weeks through 5 years and is open Monday through Friday from 6:30 am to 6 pm. Services are provided to children throughout the Denver Metro Area as well as to families associated with Addiction Research and Treatment Services.
The Baby Haven provides a rich, nurturing environment for children's cognitive, social, and emotional and physical growth. Baby Haven children are respected, and our teachers and staff work in partnership with families to nurture each child and assist them in meeting their unique potential.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Assisting Lead Teacher with creating, implementing, individualizing lesson plans based on curriculum and assessment tools indicated by Center.
- Encouraging teaching team success through modeling and support.
- Ensuring safe, healthy and clean classroom environment.
- Maintaining frequent communication with parents and families.
- Assist Lead Teacher with planning and providing age appropriate individual and group activities.
- Assist Lead Teacher with coordinating and implementing educational curriculum to assist each child in meeting early learning standards.
- Follows all agency, childcare and licensing standards.
- Assist Lead Teacher with assessment observations and preparing for parent/teacher conferences.
- Provides care routines for children such as washing hands, meals and snacks, diaper changes, etc.
- Assist with recording and record keeping of information required to document the growth and development of children and their activities.
- Attend all staff meetings, in-services and Family Partnership events.
- Help maintain facility in a safe, clean and satisfactory condition.
- Communicate daily with center management, all staff, substitutes and volunteers, which include sharing daily program plans and discussing goals for children.
- Other duties as assigned.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is $24,128. This position is eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Must be at least 18 years of age at the time of application.
- Must have verifiable experience providing care for groups of infants, toddlers and/or preschoolers.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must agree to fingerprinting and criminal background check. Required background checks include a review with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) AND the Central Registry of Child Protection (Trails).
- Subject to pre-employment, post-accident or incident or reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing per UCD Addiction Research and Treatment Services Department Policies.
- In accordance with the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA), ARTS cannot employ individuals (who may have contact with residents) who have (1) engaged in sexual abuse in a prison, jail, lockup, community confinement facility, juvenile facility, or other Institution (as defined in 42 U.S. C. § 1997); (2) been convicted of engaging or attempting to engage in sexual activity in the community facilitated by force, overt or implied threats of force, or coercion, or if the victim did not consent or was unable to consent or refuse; or (3) been civilly or administratively adjudicated to have engaged in the activity described in (1-3) of this section. Material omissions regarding such misconduct, or the provision of materially false information, shall be grounds for termination.
- Must be willing and able to attend evening teacher in-services (minimum monthly), evening family partnerships as needed (minimum monthly) and Saturday in-service or family partnership (minimum quarterly) .
- Must agree to a medical examination and must provide recent medical documentation stating that you are able to work with and care for young children.
- Must be able to lift 30 pounds.
- Be able to walk, squat/kneel, sit on floor, lift and lower children into and out of cribs, see, hear, speak with children to ensure children's health and safety.
- Must be able to smell and taste food.
- Must be willing and able to attend evening teacher in-services (minimum once a month) .
- Must be willing and able to attend family partnerships as needed.
- Must be willing and able to attend Saturday in-service quarterly.
- Two (2) years of study at an accredited college or university (equivalent to 48 semester hours) or an associate's degree or higher from an accredited college or university
- Experience working in a substance abuse treatment environment with a focus on women's issues (i.e. trauma; domestic violence; mental health treatment; parenting and child development; barriers women experience in treatment such as childcare, employment, finding a job that pays enough to support their family; etc.)
- Experience working with offender population
- Experience working with drug exposed infants and toddlers
- Experience executing administrative duties related to billing, office organization, and data entry using Microsoft Office programs
- Knowledge of child development and age-appropriate expectations for young children 6 weeks through 5 years of age
- Ability to stay calm in all situations and to respond to children in a quiet, reassuring manner
- Ability to adapt, adjust and/or modify activities to meet the developmental needs of each child
- Ability to be open-minded and non-judgmental
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage difficult behaviors
- Ability to comply with established rules, policies and procedures
- Ability to develop healthy relationships with clients
- Ability to establish boundaries with clients
- Awareness of healthy nutrition practices for ages 6 weeks to 12 years of age
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter/letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Tina Young at Tina.Young@ucdenver.edu
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Administrative Support and Related
Primary Location: Denver
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20280 - SOM-PSYCH-ARTS SP/G
Posting Date: Dec 14, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Tina Young
Posting Contact Email: Tina.Young@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00675625