University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics - Section of Informatics (Formerly Epidemiology)
Associate Professor, Pediatrics
Position #741526 - Requisition #12042
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
The Department of Pediatrics Section of Informatics (formerly Epidemiology) has an opening for a full time Associate Professor. The newly created Section of Informatics has been established to be the academic home for faculty, scientists, clinicians, and students interested in advancing the development and implementation of advanced informatics technologies into clinical practice at the intersections of big data analytics, precision medicine, and the Learning Health System. This position seeks to recruit an individual who brings deep mathematical knowledge in non-linear dynamical systems, data assimilation, predictive modeling, and advanced decision support tools to be applied to complex pediatric conditions, especially time-sensitive, high-impact clinical settings, such as pediatric critical care decision making. As part of a newly established academic Section, this position will be responsible for establishing the advanced data analytics environment for data science discovery and establishing tools/methods that enable rapid data acquisition, analytics, deployment and eventually data and analytics open science platforms. In addition, the applicant is expected to establish new academic courseware in advance data analytic methods in biomedical/clinical sciences along with mentoring doctoral students and post-doctoral fellows.
Examples of Work Performed:
- High dimensional temporal mathematical modeling: Non-linear, stochastic mechanistic mathematical models of normal and abnormal physiological processes.
- Multi-modal data assimilation: Integration of external, internal, and patient-specific data to establish personalized representations of patient current and future states.
- Predictive (outcomes-based) modeling: Personalized representations of patient-specific current and future states for treatment optimization
- Educational course master: Advanced quantitative methods in data assimilation, nonlinear/stochastic dynamical systems, control theory, optimization theory. Causal and predictive modeling methods
- Doctoral/post-doctoral mentor: Direct mentorship, thesis committee, research collaboration for advanced degree candidates.
- Open-science platform development: In collaboration with D2V and Compass, create tools and methods for enabling data science research to share data, methods and results that align with NIH resource/data sharing requirements.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- PhD in Applied Mathematics or relevant advanced mathematical training
- Minimum 4 years' experience in Data Sciences
- Minimum 4 years' experience in Biomedical Informatics or Bioengineering
- Experience working with electronic medical records data
- Experience working with national health care data model
- Demonstrated academic writing skills: Primary/Senior author in establish academic journals, significant contribution to NIH or equivalent grant writing.
- Demonstrated extramural funding as PI, co-PI or co-I from NIH or equivalent agencies.
- Demonstrated participation in national and/or international academic workshops, symposium, meetings in relevant area (Biomedical Informatics, Bioengineering, Dynamical Systems.
- Highly collaborative approach to team science.
- Flexible problem solving based on significant data, resource, and workflow constraints in actual clinical settings.
- Clear communications skills for exchanging complex data and mathematical concepts to non-mathematically oriented collaborators
- Willingness to build new systems/environments/programs given this agenda is new to the University of Colorado.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Required Application Materials: When applying at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and email addresses for three professional references. 4. Two professional recommendation letters Questions should be directed to email@example.com
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Resume/CV, List of References, Reference Letters (Not Confidential)
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until December 17, 2017.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20269 - SOM-PEDS General Operations
Posting Date: Dec 12, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Carmel Harberg
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00741526