University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Marcus Institute for Brain Health
Position # 00743065- Requisition 12580
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The Marcus Institute for Brain Health has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Case Manager position.
The Marcus Institute for Brain Health (MIBH) at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is a clinical care and research institute for Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and Psychological Health (PH) conditions such as post-traumatic stress, depression and anxiety. The primary focus of the MIBH is to care for former military personnel who have separated from active duty, with special consideration for those who were separated with "Other Than Honorable" or "Dishonorable" discharge status due to TBI or PH conditions. It will also serve civilian adults who have sustained mild to moderate TBI and are experiencing lingering neurological problems or co-morbid PH conditions. The MIBH offers intensive outpatient care with detailed diagnostic and treatment services, frequently in a four-week program, that integrates conventional medicine with complementary and alternative medicine.
Nature of Work
MIBH currently seeks a Social Worker who will work within a comprehensive interdisciplinary medical team to assess patient needs. The position will provide screening interviews to identify at-risk social and behavioral patients entering the Institute. The position will coordinate referrals to resources within the community to further address medical, mental health, behavioral health, and social needs of the patient. When identifying at-risk patients, this position must be able to make critical decisions regarding the patients' mental/physical health needs to include enhanced social work assistance. The position must adhere to the State of Colorado Code of Ethics for Licensed Clinical Social Workers. Jobs in this career family are responsible for performing a wide range of professional duties to support the university's teaching, research and/or service missions through the provision of health and wellness services, dealing with general, indirect patient care operations and management of healthcare services. Functions include hospital administration, healthcare regulatory compliance, patient relations, operational services, admissions, and medical records. Includes professional assignments in medicine, dentistry, nursing, pharmacy, counseling and behavioral health, public health, dietetics and nutrition, other allied health fields, alternative medicine and therapies, and related disciplines.
Examples of Work Performed
- Assist Participants with navigating the admission process and paperwork prior to arrival at MIBH.
- Assist Participants with navigating the University campus and MIBH appointments while engaged in treatment at MIBH.
- Build relationships with patients that foster early communication of risky situations to mitigate the need for crisis management.
- Maintain clients' records by reviewing case notes; logging events and progress.
- Prepare clients' discharge with the clinical team; reviews and coordinates discharge and post-discharge plan requirements; orients, trains and provides resources to family members as appropriate.
- Assesses patients' needs and provides proper clinic and community referrals.
- Serve as a liaison between the MIBH patient and the referral source(s) to ensure mental/physical continuity of care and services before and after MIBH participation
- Demonstrate the ability to provide appropriate care to veterans, family members and caregivers.
- Maintain contact with relevant providers to monitor and coordinate treatment efforts.
- Use appropriate screening criteria, knowledge and clinical judgment, to assess patient's current functional level and develop and monitor ongoing Care Plans.
- Establish relationships with veteran service organizations, local providers, and national and community organizations. Maintain an updated file with these organizations.
- Link participants to veteran service organizations and other community services based on participant's ongoing Care Plan.
- Empower Program participants to improve their quality of life and ensure an integrated approach to address ongoing medical and psychological health issues.
- Establish strong relationships with AHWC staff, providers, and community partners.
- Participate in regularly scheduled clinical supervision, case consultations, case management and team meetings.
- Complete required documentation and electronic data entry to assist with continuity of care, program evaluation, and outcome data.
- Represent the university and MIBH in a professional manner.
Knowledge of human development and psychological theory as it relates to traumatic brain injuries, human behavior, addiction, and PTSD. They should have an understanding of the traumatic brain injuries and its impact on physical and psychological states and relationships, and they should possess relationship-building skills across a diverse range of cultural settings.
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
Salary and Benefits
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Master's Degree in Social Work
- LCSW in Colorado
- 1+ years' experience with direct patient care
Necessary Special Qualification: The Social Worker must be licensed in the state of Colorado or able to obtain Colorado license prior to start date.
- At least 2 years of direct experience with mild to moderate Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Experience working with active duty military and veterans
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Ability to maintain a positive and cooperative attitude
- Ability to organize and prioritize with minimal direction
- Ability to work in continually changing conditions
- Ability to work under moderate to high measures of stress
- Ability to problem-solve, use good judgement, and deal with diverse and difficult personalities
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter/letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3 ) List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Angela Kirkpatrick at Angela.Kirkpatrick@ucdenver.edu
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: U0001 -- Denver-Anschutz Administration - 21730 - ADM-VCHA-MarcusInstBrainHlth
Posting Date: Feb 7, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Angela Kirkpatrick
Posting Contact Email: Angela.Kirkpatrick@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00743065