FRONT-END WEB DEVELOPER
JOB NO.: 93726-AS
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Department: UNIVERSITY MARKETING
Categories: Web Design/Development
Employment Class: Academic Staff-Renewable
Position Vacancy ID: 93726-AS
Working Title: Front-end Web Developer
Official Title: INFORM PROCESS CONSLT(S44DN) or ASSOC INF PROC CONSLT(S44FN)
Hiring Department: A022460-GENERAL SERVICES/VC FOR UNIV RELATIONS/UNIVERSITY MARKETING
Anticipated Begin Date: MAY 21, 2018
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
Minimum $52,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Degree and Area of Specialization:
Graduate of accredited four-year college
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
- Minimum 1 year of demonstrated experience developing websites in a professional context.
- Strong standards-compliant HTML and CSS skills.
- Experience integrating front-end templates with back-end functionality.
- Ability to work independently and produce high quality websites for customers in a timely manner.
- Adaptability and flexibility in evolving situations.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to analyze communications problems from the perspective of how the web and other new-media technologies may be used to help solve them.
- Demonstrated desire to learn new things.
- Experience with coding for WCAG 2.0 AA accessibility compliance.
- Working knowledge of Git and collaborative code management and development.
- Experience with custom Wordpress theme development.
- Flexibility in development frameworks, languages, and other tools.
- Basic understanding of linux and the command line, especially as it relates to managing local dev environments.
- Knowledge of and experience writing clean, secure PHP code.
- Knowledge and passion for UW-Madison and higher education.
License or certificate:
University Marketing is seeking a full-time front-end web developer to join our team. The developer will improve and maintain our existing sites, help inform our digital strategy, and develop innovative, beautifully engineered websites.
University Marketing creates and manages websites and applications that serve the entire UW-Madison campus. www.wisc.edu, the campus map, UW Wordpress themes, and the campus alerts system are a few of the web properties in our portfolio. More recently we've launched several showcase sites including madison.wisc.edu, prime.wisc.edu, and onwisconsin.wisc.edu. This position will help meet these needs and push us toward more visually-based, interactive, and immersive storytelling experiences.
We work primarily with open source platforms and tools in an environment where we have the flexibility and opportunity to innovate and create. We are constantly learning while we work as part of a team to design, build, and deploy custom solutions, in fact the nature of our work requires this passion for learning.
We are dedicated to the project, not the process or platform. And when we plan, we are open to non-traditional solutions. We want someone who knows how to incorporate best practices while balancing the ability to meet deadlines.
The web developer position requires organization, flexibility and a sense of humor. You will collaborate with designers, user experience managers, and developers. This position reports to the Web Director and requires a team player with an ability to function effectively in the highly complex and decentralized environment of UW-Madison.
Instructions to applicants:
Please note that University Marketing is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Application materials may be reviewed prior to the deadline. In order to update your materials, please notify the contact listed in the job posting.
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must submit both a resume and cover letter. Please include links to samples of your work.
Please click on the "Apply Now" button (jobs.wisc.edu, 93726) to start the application process. Pay will be based on experience and qualifications.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Period of Evaluation will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: Feb 27 2018 Central Standard Time
Application Close: Apr 1 2018 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time