System Identification Number:
Job Summary/Basic Function:
The Student Engagement Librarian is a member of the UNT Libraries' Access Services Department, which provides circulation, reserves, ILL, document delivery, online holds and research assistance (reference) services to UNT students, faculty, staff, and community members. The librarian oversees the research assistance services at Willis Library's combined Services Desk and manages the Ask Us service. The librarian ensures that high quality service is provided to the library patrons and Public Services Division standards and guidelines are met. The librarian also serves as the subject librarian to the Honors College and TAMS (Texas Academy of Mathematics and Science). The librarian seeks ways to engage students and support their learning and research activities by collaborating with student-centered groups on campus including but not limited to the Learning Center, Writing Lab, and Trio Programs. The Librarian exercises broad independent judgement and authority under the general direction of the UNT Libraries' Access Services Department Head.
* Provides leadership and direction for the Research Assistance unit.
* Provides circulation and research assistance services in person, via phone and email.
* Responsible for hiring, training, and supervising six Graduate Services Assistants.
* Provides library instruction, guest lectures, workshops, and serves on library and university committees as needed.
* Manages the data collection system for collecting data related to patron interactions.
* Fosters positive relations with faculty, students, and staff and promotes the University's and Library's commitment to diversity.
* Works to meet the requirements for service to the libraries, university, and the community.
* Works to meet the requirements for scholarly, creative, and professional activities.
* Maintains a collegial working relationship with other departments, offices, and divisions.
* Other duties as assigned.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
Librarian rank will be determined by the Library Personnel Affairs Committee through review of the selected candidate's education, experience, scholarly and professional involvement, and service.
* ALA-accredited master's degree in library or information sciences or international equivalent
* Strong commitment to public service and student engagement
* 2 years of experience providing reference and research assistance services
* 3 years of customer service experience
* Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
* Ability to adjust priorities, take initiative, set goals, manage time wisely, make quick, effective decisions, and solve problems in a fast-paced environment
* Aptitude for thinking creatively and developing products and services, such as training materials and workshops
* Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to establish positive and productive collaborations with faculty and staff
* Demonstrated experience working with diverse populations
* Demonstrated proficiency in a Windows environment, MS Office applications, and electronic resources
* Experience providing library instruction in an academic setting
* 2 years of experience in providing customer service training
* 2 years of supervisory experience
* Experience creating and maintaining LibGuides
* Experience working with Sierra and ILLiad
* Evidence of leadership, entrepreneurship, and initiative
* Demonstrated experience working collaboratively and leading a team
Non-Tenured Appointment Term:
Open Until Search Closed
Required Applicant Documents:
List of Names and Contact Information of Three References
Special Instructions to Applicants:
As your "Other Document," please upload a brief statement (no more than one page) about your vision of the evolving role of reference and research assistance in academic libraries.