Senior Communications Specialist - Social Media
Senior Communications Specialist - Social Media
Sr Communications Specialist
Univ Relations Com & Mktng-Gen - 180000
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday-Friday 8am to 5pm; some evening and weekend shifts are required for monitoring social
As the chief communications organization for the University of North Texas, the Division of University Relations, Communications and Marketing (URCM) collaborates with internal and external partners to:
* Advance and protect UNT's institutional identity and reputation
* Reinforce and grow UNT's brand in graphics, images and words
* Increase UNT's visibility in public and in the higher education marketplace
* Support UNT's student recruitment, retention and graduation goals.
* Strengthen UNT's relevance and value to key audiences, including alumni, donors, faculty and staff members, and encourage community engagement.
The Division of University Relations, Communications and Marketing (URCM) at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Senior Communications Specialist to join our team. This individual will support the mission of the university by writing and managing content for the university website and institutional social media designed to market UNT to key audiences, promote the image of the institution to internal and external constituencies and help increase undergraduate and graduate enrollment and retention; to develop, organize and create web content materials that will maximize the University of North Texas' exposure; and other responsibilities as assigned. Reports to the Associate Director of Social Media in URCM.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Coordinates the daily Facebook page content and schedules posts ahead of time using Facebook or Social Studio.
* Coordinates daily @UNTSocial tweets according to the content strategy plan.
* Daily monitors Instagram for appropriate images to be used in other social media properties and coordinates content to be shot for Instagram and Twitter.
* Carefully constructs content to be written in a consistent tone and style while ensuring copy is clear, informal, accurate and informative.
* Keeps up with changing social media trends through reading and research.
* Monitors social media outlet analytics to determine best strategies.
* Provides weekly generated reports on UNT's social media presence to the Associate Director of Social Media and the Director of Integrated Communications.
* Follows best practices, current industry trends and audience specific preferences.
* Monitors and researches channel analytics to refine messages, strategies and to prove performance indicators.
* Conducts daily community management via the UNT Facebook page, Uversity, Twitter and Instagram, engaging with the community, answering questions posted and addressing comments that are inaccurate, offensive or otherwise break Facebook policy and UNT's social media policy.
* Posts/Tweets new content as appropriate based on the Social Media Platform Goals.
* Creates social media communication plans regarding university events and initiatives.
* Provides content strategy plans for new social media properties.
* Works with URCM departments to develop content strategies and works to brand UNT in social media with key markets.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree in related field and three years of experience in writing and/or editing publications; or any equivalent combination of experience, education, and training. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Ability to conceptualize, write and edit strategic, accurate and concise content for university audiences.
* Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines, conduct multiple tasks and maintain effective working relationships.
* Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
* Ability to visually inspect print and online copy when self-editing or editing the copy of others.
* Works effectively within a team and effectively works closely with other staff, faculty, and students toward a common goal.
* Extensive knowledge of spelling, grammar, punctuation and Associated Press and Chicago Manual styles.
* Knowledge of writing styles and guidelines for various media formats and ability to create, coordinate and edit copy for each format (print, digital/social media, video, broadcast, etc.).
* Understanding of institutional strategy (or ability to quickly assimilate) and ability to integrate the strategy into modes of communication.
* Ability to supervise and coordinate the work of others.
* Knowledge of and ability to research industry best practices to assist the division, college or unit in aligning strategies for UNT publications (print and digital) with University strategy and guidelines.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Minimum of three to five years coordinating and planning strategies and content for branded social media channels (NOT personal social media accounts)
* Experience administering brand social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (again NOT personal social accounts).
* Possess the ability to create and execute campaigns and strategies and to plan, supervise and coordinate content creation and to review created content.
* Familiarity with social media management sites and reporting platforms such as Hootsuite, Sprout Social, Radian 6 and Facebook Insights and must possess the ability to use these tools to report social media metrics.
* Must be able to exhibit sound judgment when engaging with and managing the social media community and serve as the leader for social media for URCM and UNT.
* Scheduled work time will include some nights and weekends.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter, three writing samples and a list of three professional references with their online application. Candidates should submit analytics for social samples, if possible.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Quicklink for Posting