Risk Mgmt Services-Gen - 152600
Is this an internal posting only?
Mon - Fri, 8 - 5
The University of North Texas (UNT) has an enrollment of over 37,000 students with 166 buildings and 15 residence halls on 900 acres. The University's Department of Risk Management Services (RMS) has a commitment to comply with federal, state and local standards to provide a safe and healthful environment for students, faculty, staff and visitors. The department's primary goal is to identify and respond to exposures to loss, apply measures to prevent loss, and develop processes for responding to emergencies and unexpected events on UNT property.
The Risk Mgmt Services-Gen Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Biosafety Officer to join our team. Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Provide professional oversight of research and teaching spaces that involve biological hazards and/or regulatory liability.
* In consultation with the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC), establish and implement strategic goals and objectives for the UNT Biosafety Program.
* Receive and review proposals; conduct evaluations and risk assessments.
* Anticipate, recognize, evaluate, control and prevent hazards from work that may result in injury, illness, or affect the well-being of workers.
* Act as primary contact for regulatory agencies in matters involving biological work.
* Develop and administer training programs.
* Prepare technical reports including annual rewrites/revisions to biosafety manuals and standard operating procedures.
* Perform audits of spaces performing biological work, as well as other laboratories and spaces as needed.
* Respond to biosafety emergencies, perform thorough investigations, and complete associated reporting.
* In addition to the IBC, support activities of various committees such as the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) and Institutional Review Board (IRB).
* Ensure compliance with university policies regarding biosafety, the NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant or Synthetic DNA Molecules, Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories, federal/state regulatory bodies, and monitor compliance with Select Agent and Toxins regulations.
* Perform other duties in support of environmental, health, and safety activities as assigned.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess the following required qualifications:
Bachelor's degree in the biological sciences or related field and four years of related experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
* Ability to manage a variety of tasks simultaneously.
* Capable of working side-by-side with faculty, staff, students, Compliance, Legal and other professionals.
* Skill in the use of computers and applicable technology.
* Knowledge of regulations, trends, and best practices related to biosafety.
* Ability to act in a professional fashion when coordinating with external agencies in matters related to biosafety.
Required: Possession of a valid Texas driver's license or ability to obtain within 30 days of employment; ability to drive a vehicle and maintain coverage under University liability insurance policy, if required to drive University vehicles.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Certification through ABSA (RBP or CBSP) or other related credentials.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Quicklink for Posting