Director of Communications, Marketing and Public Relations
Director of Communications, Marketing and Public Relations
College of Music-Gen - 134000
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday-Friday 8am to 5pm; some special events
The University of North Texas' (UNT) College of Music is one of the nation's largest and most respected comprehensive music schools. It offers fully accredited degrees from the bachelor to doctoral levels and is home to the world's first jazz studies degree program. Faculty include internationally acclaimed artists and scholars in composition, conducting, ethnomusicology, music education, music entrepreneurship, music history, music theory and performance. The college presents more than 1,100 concerts and recitals annually. UNT music alumni can be found around the globe in impressive, award-winning careers across a wide range of music professions.
The College of Music at UNT is seeking to hire a Director of Communications, Marketing & Public Relations to join our team. This position involves independent judgment & a high level of initiative derived from knowledge gained through professional experience & public contact work. The position requires personal communication with a wide range of persons, & handling confidential information associated with the Dean's Office. This position will oversee all publicity & supervise information & promotional materials for the College.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to: Media & Public Relations:
* Develop & maintain effective working relationships with external media entities, ensuring maximum visibility of the College in local, regional, & national media outlets.
* Serve as liaison for the College with the UNT News Service.
* Manage & expand the college's digital presence via social media, email marketing, & other digital means.
* Serve as the principal content writer & editor for recurring publications such as the performance calendar, Counterpoint magazine, & various newsletters.
* Provide support for the planning, coordination, & execution of projects, events, & promotions.
* Collaborate with the College of Music Information Specialist to ensure that electronic resources, such as the College of Music website, are regularly maintained.
* Assist with the development and design of marketing material for advertisements, newsletters, direct mail, & public relations materials.
* Manage the College of Music advertising budget.
* Continually promote the mission & goals of the College of Music to entities internal and external in order to enhance the image of the College.
* Participate in College sponsored events & attend various meetings & luncheons sponsored by the College, University, & external organizations.
* Coordinate & implement marketing projects, ensuring proper approval at the College and/or University level, ensuring they are completed on time and within budget.
* Write articles, memos, speeches, & other communications & convey key messages quickly & concisely using a variety of communication vehicles to a range of audiences.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree in related field and two years of experience in communications, marketing, advertising, or public relations; or any equivalent combination of experience, education, and training. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Thorough understanding of market segmentation, principles of marketing, integrated marketing communications principles and branding.
* Proficiency in MS Office and requisite publishing, graphic design and media tools.
* Ability to think creatively, organize tasks, work independently and meet deadlines.
* Considerable knowledge of Associated Press style.
* Ability to visually inspect products in multiple formats and assess and improve.
* Ability to coordinate and supervise the work of others.
* Proficiency in MS Office and requisite publishing and graphic design software.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Extensive knowledge of the kinds of music represented in UNT curricula.
* Excellent writing & editing skills.
* Excellent customer service skills & the desire to meet the needs of a wide range of constituencies.
* High degree of attention to detail.
* Ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations both verbally and in writing, facilitating the development & maintenance of effective working relationships.
* Ability to openly give & receive feedback in a positive manner.
* Knowledge of the principles & practices of project management & planning.
* Ability to plan & direct projects from inception to completion, working under tight deadlines with conflicting priorities.
* Graduate coursework in music.
* Experience working in a university environment.
* Experience in project management, public relations, marketing, or communications.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a writing sample, preferably from a press release or periodical, along with the online application, resume, and references.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Quicklink for Posting