Student Application Developer
Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date June 8, 2017
Position Title Student Application Developer
Vacancy # V-1300
Department Student Development and Campus Life
Division Student Development and Campus Life
Under the direction of the Associate Vice President for Student Development and Campus Life and the day to day reporting to the Technical Project Specialist, the Student Applications Developer is responsible for implementing, maintaining, and supporting information systems associated with the Division of Student Development and Campus Life. Responsibilities include management information systems and web-based application services support for Residence Life, Student Conduct and event/organization management.
MAJOR JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Configures applications, develops programs, command procedures and scripts for assigned information systems including but not limited to Residential Management Systems (RMS), student conduct system, OrgSync and 25 Live (shared).
• Participate in the gathering and review of business processes, design analysis, project planning, implementation, documentation, thorough testing and training of end users.
• Using appropriate computer software tools write queries or design and produce reports which support the departments within the division. Analyze data to ensure accurate reporting. Maintain, regularly review, update and grow an inventory of legacy reports, system delivered reports and customized reports.
• Work with the Office of Information Technology to identify application server, network and security requirements as required to support the applications suite.
• Complete tasks as assigned to support the implementation of new technologies. Participate in fit gap and prototyping sessions, configuring systems, testing configurations, setting up tables, importing and exporting data and resolving issues.
• Train department staff and create and update training documentation in the use of various technologies.
• Troubleshoot and analyze system issues, thinking 'outside' the box ability to develop and test various business process scenarios.
• Evaluate the need for and appropriately recommend future system enhancements and additional functionality.
• Maintains integrity and confidentiality in instructional and program operations.
• Establishes and maintains effective communication and cooperative working relationships with university administrators, faculty and staff, government, and private agencies to accomplish the objectives of the University.
• Ensure accuracy in maintaining data base, financial and associated records.
• Represents the University at conference, seminars or meetings as required.
• Serve on ad hoc committees as required.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principle functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
Bachelor's degree in related field or substantial experience in information systems is required. Three years of professional experience in systems programming including SQL, PL/SQL. Demonstrate technical understanding of the principles and concepts behind application analysis, design analysis and implementations. Demonstrate ability to exercise independent judgment and initiative and manage multiple projects and deadlines. Demonstrate ability to communicate and coordinate with all levels of the University community. Previous experience with the RMS (Residential Management System), Banner, HTML, Java, Microsoft Office Suite, Cognos and Crystal Reports a plus.
Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
Commensurate with Experience
Anticipated Start Date Open until position is filled
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Apply By Review begins immediately and continues until position is filled
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION