Director of Human Resource Operations
Founded in 2005, Georgia Gwinnett College (GGC) is the 31st member of the University System of Georgia. GGC is a premier 21st century liberal arts institution accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. With a current enrollment of over 12,000 students, enrollment is projected to exceed 13,000 students in 2017, including both residential and commuter students. GGC’s innovative practices, caring culture, and extremely affordable tuition are changing the game in higher education and changing the future for students at all levels, of all ages, and from all walks of life. Gwinnett County (pop. 850,000+) is home to a variety of businesses, including organizations involved in health care, education and information technology.
Director of Human Resource Operations
Human Resources - 7010310
Business & Finance
Cover Letter, Resume
The Director of Human Resources Operations will provide leadership to support the day-to-day operations of the Office of Human Resources. Reporting directly to the Associate Vice President of Human Resources, the Director of HR Operations will play a key role in supporting the successful growth and development of the expanding HR operations function including initiatives that drive efficiency and standardization of processes. In this strong leadership role, the Director serves second in charge to the Associate Vice President of HR, performing as lead in the AVP's absence. The Director is responsible for ensuring the overall efficiency of the Office of Human Resources. Specifically the Director will assist in overseeing HR operations with a heavy emphasis on HRIS oversight, audit, affirmative action reporting, policy/legislative compliance, reporting/analysis, records maintenance, process improvement, departmental procedures, automation, employee relations, and managed faculty events. The core of this position requires a highly detailed, motivated, process-driven and proactive person who embraces the opportunity to help grow an institution where innovation, creativity and inspiration meet.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of HR Administration and Services (HRIS, reporting, auditing, records oversight).
- Serve as second in charge to the Associate Vice President of HR, performing as lead in the AVP's absence.
- Serve as a strategic member of the HR management team by collaborating with AVP of HR and team to develop and implement measurable HR initiatives and solutions in support of GGC's strategic priorities.
- Foster a positive partnership with Payroll personnel to ensure payroll-related issues and processes are handled effectively.
- Provide consultation, recommendations, and policy-based guidance to campus leadership and employees. Advise Department leaders on HR programs and practices in support of overall company objectives.
- Ensure managed faculty events are processed timely and accurately, including but not limited to: offer letters, contracts, and dual appointments.
- Serve as lead on complex employee relations matters including oversight on progressive disciplinary actions in efforts to achieve improved behavior or performance standards. Provide guidance to employees, directors and managers concerning sensitive work-related problems.
- Conduct exit interviews including trend analysis; Provide recommendations to support an environment of continuous improvement.
- Select, supervise and evaluate HR Operations' staff members.
- Serve as a project manager, as needed.
- Serve as lead for HR staff in supporting and developing efficient, standardized departmental processes and procedures; Recommend new approaches/procedures to effect continual improvement of operations performed.
- Support efforts to establish HR as a trusted partner and advisor with campus leadership.
- Participate in campus personnel-related committees, working groups or focus groups, providing input and recommendations for the administration of personnel on the campus. Attend appropriate off-campus meetings of HR professionals for staff training purposes.
- Monitor policy adherence to ensure appropriate, accurate, and consistent application including proper documentation, and legislative compliance.
- Provide timely and accurate metrics and data that assist HR and campus leadership with appropriate decision making.
- Encourage open communications and promote a positive work environment embracing the College's vision, mission and operating principles; Serve as champion with initiatives designed to develop and sustain GGC's culture.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned.
SALARY: Commensurate with education and experience with excellent benefits.
Minimum and Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree
- 7 - 10 years of measurable success in a full scope HR generalist role with increasing responsibility
- Strong HRIS systems knowledge, employee relations, compensation and HR processes
- Knowledge of HRIS/payroll processes; Ability to research and resolve HRMS problems
- Knowledge of HR best practices & processes
- Knowledge of Federal and State Employment Law as well as current employment related legislation
- A strong sense of urgency and business acumen
- Ability to understand, quickly react and motivate others to adapt to the changing organization environment is a critical key to success
- Proven ability to establish ownership and drive assigned initiatives through to completion on time; meeting or exceeding expectations
- Proven knowledge of federal/state employment laws
- Must maintain extreme confidentiality of employee and company records
- Great communication and interpersonal skills; including demonstrated ability to build consensus and establish trust; outgoing personality
- Superior customer service skills
- Solid organizational and prioritization skills including proven attention to detail
- Self-motivated, hard-working, and eager to learn
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to listen to customers understand needs and respond positively to their requests
- Advanced level knowledge of Microsoft Suite, HRIS and ATS applications
- Previous HR leadership role in higher education strongly preferred
- Prior experience in a growth environment strongly preferred
- Previous PeopleSoft experience preferred
- Previous experience with managed faculty events preferred
Due to the volume of applications, applicants may not receive a reply from the College unless an applicant is selected for an interview. Review of applications will continue until positions are filled. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States and proof of eligibility will be contemporaneously required upon acceptance of an employment offer. Any resulting employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation and credit check if applicable to the position, as determined by Georgia Gwinnett College in its sole discretion. Georgia Gwinnett College, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability or religion. Georgia is an open records state.
Position may require local travel. Ability to lift and carry files and materials. Ability to move from one office to another office on campus. Adequate vision, hearing and manual dexterity to interact with people in person, on the phone and in writing. Applicant must be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodations.
Position may require non-standard work hours (nights and weekends).