Aurora University is an independent, comprehensive institution founded in 1893 offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. Our two campuses are located in Aurora, Illinois and on the shores of Geneva Lake in Wisconsin. Additionally, we have an Educational Center in Woodstock, Illinois. We seek people passionately involved in the educational process who will help us realize our vision.
Position Purpose: The Senior Accountant supports learning by providing accounting and analytical support for the Business Office. The Senior Accountant provides assistance with payroll, general ledger transactions, grant accounting and reporting, as well as financial statement and tax return preparation.
- Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
- Handle confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Preparation of monthly general ledger close in coordination with other members of the Business Office.
- Preparation of journal entries and account reconciliations.
- Assist with preparation of financial statements and schedules for internal reporting.
- Utilizes computer applications to compile, retrieve, summarize, and research information for analyses and reporting purposes.
- Works with various departments to review compliance or coordinate accounting matters as necessary.
- Responsible for review and oversight of payroll as prepared by Payroll/Business Office Specialist. Serves as primary back up to payroll function.
- Assist with preparation of reconciliations and documentation for annual external audit.
- General support on various projects as needed.
- Conform with and abide by all regulatory guidance, and internal policies and procedures.
Essential Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field
- 3-5 years of accounting experience required. Experience in higher education preferred. Experience with payroll also preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented and accurate.
- Able to maintain strong internal control environment, including supporting documentation and authorizations.
- Strong analytical skills as required for account analysis and reconciliation.
- Expertise in spreadsheet and word processing software: Microsoft is preferred.
- Experience with Ellucian’s Colleague system preferred.
- Able to handle multiple priorities and effectively meet deadlines as required.
- Ability to interact verbally in person, over telephone and via written and electronic media.
- Ability to move about campus and other locations.
- Ability to sit or stand for prolonged periods of time.
Benefit-eligible positions offer excellent benefits including health, dental, life, vision, long term disability, a 403(b) retirement plan through TIAA, and tuition remission included. Please send resume with cover letter and contact information for three references including name, telephone and email address.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
630-844-5650 - fax
[email protected] - email
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.