Senior Systems Administrator
Aurora University is an independent, comprehensive institution founded in 1893 offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. Our two campuses are located in Aurora, Illinois and on the shores of Geneva Lake in Wisconsin. Additionally, we have an Educational Center in Woodstock, Illinois. We seek people passionately involved in the educational process who will help us realize our vision.
Position Purpose: The Systems Administrator supports learning by maintaining responsibility for activities related to system administration. Ensure long–term requirements of systems operations and administration are included in the overall information systems planning of the organization. Maintain responsibility for the installation, maintenance, configuration, and integrity of computer software. Implement operating system enhancements that will improve the reliability and performance of the administrative systems.
- Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
- Handle confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Create and maintain hardware and software applications for the Windows Server and Linux systems.
- Design and build automated tools to perform maintenance tasks to install, configure, tests, patch, and upgrades Windows and Linux server environments.
- Maintains the integrity and security of servers and systems.
- Document system design and procedures.
- Monitor applications and systems to maintain high availability.
- Provide system support for administrative application systems.
- Provide Tier II / III support for escalated issues.
- Responsible for creating, updating and deactivating user accounts as well as granting permissions to appropriate users and user groups
Essential Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience required.
- MCSA / MCSE, or RHSA preferred.
- 2-3 years’ experience with supporting Linux and Windows Servers
- 1-2 years’ experience with VMware and SAN storage
- Administration and deployment of open source applications.
- Amazon AWS experience with maintaining and building EC2 and S3 instances.
- Training end users on applications preferred.
- Administering systems from the command line and scripting with BASH / Python / PowerShell preferred.
- Knowledge of database systems
- Windows and Linux administration and troubleshooting
- Proven ability to analyze and problem solve
- Excellent written, oral, and presentation communication skills
- Experience working with SSL and TLS configurations
- Experience working with servers deployed on hypervisors
- Active Directory administration
- Quick learner with great prioritization skills
- Ability to communicate effectively in a college environment
- Ability to accept divergent views while maintaining a constructive working relationship with other team members
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Ability to move around campus and to travel to alternate sites as needs demand.
Benefit-eligible positions offer excellent benefits including health, dental, life, vision, long term disability, a 403(b) retirement plan through TIAA, and tuition remission included. Please send resume with cover letter and contact information for three references including name, telephone and email address.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
630-844-5650 - fax
[email protected] - email
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.