Department Chair - Physical Therapy
Job no: 493900
Position Type: Faculty Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Physical Therapy
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience
Applications Open: Dec 18 2017
Applications Close: Open until filled
General Summary of Position:
The Department of Physical Therapy at the University of Massachusetts Lowell seeks a visionary leader for the position of department chair and invites applicants with a strong track record in external funding to complement its research programs including, but not limited to, rehabilitation sciences, digital health, movement sciences, cardiopulmonary sciences, robotics or other physical therapy related field. Candidates who present evidence of clinical expertise and teaching in physical therapy and exercise science are especially invited to apply. The appointment will be at the associate or full professor level with tenure.
The Physical Therapy Department is located within the Zuckerberg College of Health Sciences, a dynamic, growing college that prepares professionals and scientists in a wide range of health science fields including applied, clinical and translational areas. A large research program and vibrant community partnerships and engagement opportunities enrich and support our educational programs. In addition to physical therapy, the college has Departments of Public Health and Biomedical and Nutritional Sciences and a School of Nursing. The candidate will work with internal collaborators in the Zuckerberg College of Health Sciences, with faculty in other colleges at UMass Lowell, with community partners, and with external academic colleagues.
The department offers the BS degree in exercise physiology, and a fully accredited doctoral degree in physical therapy (DPT). The chair will facilitate program growth, promote the scholarly agenda of the department, and advance student learning. Leadership teams in the college and department will support the chair in carrying out the department's academic mission.
UMass Lowell is situated in the heart of New England on the banks of the Merrimack River, a beautiful and culturally diverse area and birthplace of America's industrial revolution. Cotton mills in Lowell, the only city to be awarded national park status by the U.S. National Park Service, opened in 1814 and the city has been a hub of invention and innovation ever since. Its location 25 miles north of Boston offers unsurpassed enrichment of every type including fine arts, dining, historical sites, and of course sports! Just north of Lowell the grandeur of New Hampshire's White Mountains unfolds not far from the storied ski lodges of Vermont. All told, Lowell is a jewel of a city.
The university is committed to increasing diversity in its faculty, staff, and student populations, as well as curriculum and support programs, while promoting an inclusive environment. We seek candidates who can contribute to that goal and encourage applicants from underrepresented populations to identify strengths in this area.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- An academic doctoral degree (PhD, EdD, DHSc, ScD) from an accredited university in a field related to physical therapy, exercise science, kinesiology, or related field
- Evidence of excellence in leadership and interpersonal skills
- Strong track record in externally funded research
- Substantial publication record
- Demonstrated excellence in mentoring, teaching, and service
- The ability to work effectively with diverse groups and interdisciplinary teams
- Previous rank of associate or full professor with tenure in a similar department
- Experience in fostering partnerships within the university and with outside partners, especially in industry
- Experience in a prior leadership role and ability to successfully collaborate with the faculty, the dean, and upper administration
- Experience recruiting faculty with strong research agendas and mentoring them through the tenure process
- Experience in both undergraduate, graduate, and accredited programs, with the ability to develop, implement and evaluate curricula
Required Applicant Documents:
Please include the following with your application:
- Curriculum vitae
- Cover letter: Please include a description of your past leadership experiences and a vision for advancing the department
- Publications in Peer-Reviewed Journals: Please submit two or three significant, relevant publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Research statement listing accomplishments and future plans
- Names and contact information of three professional references will be required at the time of application.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the posting may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.