Functional Title Academic Advisor
Position Type Administration - Staff
UNCG Online offers services and programs to support and grow online education at UNCG, primarily focused on new online program planning and incubation, online course development, marketing and recruitment, faculty support, and online student support services. In addition, in concert with UNCG faculty, UNCG Online leads and supports various academic projects and initiatives related to shaping the future of online learning at UNCG.
The Academic Advisor will address questions and concerns from inquiry to graduation for UNCG Online. Supporting and following students in select online degree completion programs throughout various stages of the enrollment funnel, the advisor will advise students on academic standards, policies, programs, and student information systems available to facilitate their success. The candidate will pro-actively provide superior, student-centered academic coaching and advising on issues directly and indirectly related to students' academic planning, progress, and development (goal setting and problem-solving); coach students in defining, developing and revising realistic academic goals and plans as related to career goals through academic advising and planning each semester; actively assist in development and execution of advisement and retention initiatives; develop and implement a communications plan for prospective, admitted and enrolled UNCG Online students; conduct online advising workshops/coaching sessions; be familiar with Bachelor of Integrated Professional Studies coursework and curriculum as part of team-centered coaching which includes faculty and program managers; develop a thorough working knowledge of campus support services and referral processes for overall student success including, but not limited to, admissions, financial aid, career services; serve as secondary advisor, if needed, for other UNCG Online programs; participate in recruitment activities and outreach events not limited to community college visits, university-sponsored events; make presentations to groups and individuals; effectively use customer relationship management software to support and enhance recruitment/outreach, including documenting student contacts; establish and generate reports on academic progression; use data to inform advising decisions and related activities; may require occasional evening and weekend work.
A Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, with a minimum of three years of experience working in academic advising, counseling, retention or other student success initiatives or related/equivalent experience is required.
- A Master's degree from an accredited institution with a minimum of three years of experience working in academic advising, counseling, retention or other student success initiatives in a higher education setting
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a culturally diverse body of faculty, staff, and students
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team, in a professional and confidential manner
- Previous experience advising adult students and online students
- Solutions-oriented, innovative thinker
- Use of technology to advise and coach students
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal and student service skills including ability to write effective student recruitment correspondence and internal communication, and effectively present information in informal and public (including large group) settings.
- Highly organized with attention to detail, accuracy and efficient workflow.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information.
- Data analysis orientation, including collecting, evaluating and interpreting, and using data to inform decision making.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and set priorities.
- Familiarity with Banner, Starfish, Customer Relationship Management Systems
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants are required to upload the following documents with their electronic application:
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Applicants are required to upload a list of references of at least three (3) professional references that includes:
Type of reference (Professional, Supervisor, Colleague, Academic or Personal). One (1) of those references will need to be a current or previous supervisor.
Contact Phone Number
Applications are not successfully submitted until an online confirmation number has been received at the end of the application process.
Recruitment Range 45,000 - 50,000
Org #-Department UNCG Online - 10301
Job Open Date 12/19/2017
For Best Consideration Date 01/02/2018
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Type of Appointment Permanent
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- * Do you have a master's degree?
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu