Academic Professional Kinesiology Generalist
Functional Title Academic Professional Kinesiology Generalist
Position Type Non-Tenure Stream
POSITION: Applications are invited for a 9-month, academic professional (AP) track faculty position in Kinesiology at the Assistant Professor Level. The Academic Professional Track offers non-tenured rankings of Assistant Professor through Professor. Appointments are renewable, with the length of each term being based on rank.
START DATE: August 2018
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND EXPECTATIONS INCLUDE:
- Teach and develop core content courses in the Department of Kinesiology at the undergraduate level, with possible teaching at the graduate level. The successful candidate will contribute to course work related to introductory courses in kinesiology (e.g., KIN 220 - Lifetime Wellness, KIN 250 - Introduction to Kinesiology). The candidate should also possess the ability to teach in several of the following areas: activity courses, anatomy, physiology, strength training/conditioning, injury in physical activity, assessment and evaluation in kinesiology, biomechanics, instructional methods in physical activity, motor development and learning, socio/cultural aspects of physical activity, or psychology of physical activity.
- Advise undergraduate students, with possible advising at the graduate level.
- Contribute to supervising experiential learning (e.g., service learning, shadowing/observing, internships).
- Engage in departmental, university, and community service.
THE DEPARTMENT OF KINESIOLOGY: The Kinesiology Department (http://www.uncg.edu/kin/) has 27 full-time faculty in the sub-disciplines of Athletic Training, Exercise Physiology, Biomechanics, Motor Behavior, Sport & Exercise Psychology, Community Youth Sport Development, and Pedagogical Kinesiology. The department is one of nine departments or programs in the School of Health and Human Sciences (http://www.uncg.edu/hhs/) at UNCG. Faculty have a history of excellent teaching, scholarship, and professional service, and the doctoral program was highly ranked in the most recent (2010, 2015) national rankings of doctoral programs in kinesiology. The department is located in a modern facility with extensive classroom space and an athletic training education laboratory that will be renovated in 2018. The Department of Kinesiology is the 3rd largest department at UNCG serving approximately 800 undergraduates and 150 graduate students. The department offers B.S., M.S., M.S.A.T., and Ph.D. degrees, as well as an online Ed.D. The School offers support for both research (http://hhs.uncg.edu/wordpress/office-of-research/) and instructional technology (http://hhs.uncg.edu/wordpress/oap/sample-page/about-us/).
GENERAL INFORMATION: UNCG is one of 17 campuses in the University of North Carolina system with a current enrollment of approximately 19,000 students. The campus is located one mile from the center of Greensboro, a city of ~275,000. Located in the heart of the North Carolina Piedmont, UNCG and the City of Greensboro take great pride in their family- and military-friendly environments. With its temperate weather and hiking and biking trails, lakes, parks, and greenways located in the city and surrounding counties, Greensboro is an ideal place to work and live.
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro is committed to equality of employment opportunity and does not discriminate against applicants or employees based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, political affiliation, genetic information, veteran's status, disability, or age. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V
Minimum of a Master's degree in Kinesiology or a related field.
A doctoral degree in Kinesiology or related area is preferred. Two or more years of teaching in higher education in Kinesiology is highly desirable.
Special Instructions to Applicants
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Review of applications will begin on November 1, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled. Applications should include a detailed letter of interest and qualifications, current curriculum vitae, and a list of three references including name, address, e-mail address, and phone number.
References will be contacted automatically to request a letter of recommendation through the on-line system as soon as the application is submitted. Applications should be submitted through the UNCG jobsearch system at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu. Questions regarding the position or application process should be sent to the search committee chair, Dr. Greg Daniels (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applicants are asked to provide the names, email addresses, and phone numbers of at least three (3) contacts to provide Letters of Recommendation, in the References section of the electronic application. These contacts will be solicited by the UNCGjobsearch system via email, and asked to provide a confidential Letter of Recommendation on behalf of the applicant. This will occur as soon as the applicant successfully submits the application and receives a confirmation number from the UNCGjobsearch system.
Recruitment Range Competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Org #-Department Kinesiology - 13003
Job Open Date 10/06/2017
For Best Consideration Date 11/03/2017
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Number of Months per Year 9
- Cover Letter
- Teaching Philosophy
- List of References
- Unofficial Transcript(s)
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu