Administrative Assistant I - Economics
Job no: 494028
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Salary: Clerical Unit Grade 15, Step 1
Applications Open: Jan 31 2018
Applications Close: Open until filled
General Summary of Position:
This position provides comprehensive administrative support for the Office of the Dean and Department of Economics, chair, faculty and students. The Department of Economics is a growing department with 9 full, 3 visiting, and 9 adjunct faculty. It also serves faculty teaching for the Legal Studies Program.
Some of the departmental administrative support duties include:
- Composing letters, reviewing and editing documents for completeness, content and compliance with regulatory and legal standards.
- Corresponding with and assisting students, alumni, and perspective students on behalf of the Chair or faculty, coordinating and managing the Student Evaluation of Teaching process.
- Submitting expenses and preparing budget requests for Dept. Chair and faculty. Preparing financial reports and preparing contracts for adjunct faculty.
- Maintain office records for the department, taking minutes at departmental meetings and greeting and directing students and visitors.
- Assist the department with administrative duties related to faculty searches and preparation of payroll action forms.
- Assist planning, organizing and implementing Departmental gatherings, events and functions
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- HS Diploma or GED/equivalent
- At least two years of full-time (or equivalent part-time) experience *
*An Associate's or higher degree may be substituted for some of the experience
- Experience using PeopleSoft (including SiS), and Oracle modules, HR Direct and Summit
- Ability to utilize PeopleSoft modules necessary for assisting preparation of part-time faculty contract (EPAF) in addition to financials/human resources
- Ability to gather information through questioning individuals and by examining records and documents
- Affinity for working with detail and demonstrated organization skill
- Ability to engage with different groups of people
- Knowledge of financial reports and ability to prepare budget reports
- Extensive computer and budget management experience and experience with the Microsoft Office suite of applications including Excel, Word, Access and Power Point as they relate to departmental activities
- Associates (or BA/BS) degree preferred
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal MTA Classified/Technical Union candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information for three professional references will be requested at the time of application.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.