Job no: 494035
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Controllers Office
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience and grade/range
Applications Open: Jan 31 2018
Applications Close: Open until filled
General Summary of Position:
The General Accountant provides operational support for the Controller organization.
Analyze accounting activity and perform account reconciliations for Controller team and departments.
Analyze, review and/or prepare entries and enter to PeopleSoft general ledger. This includes review of journals to upload to GL from departments. Entries include recurring monthly, quarterly and annual journals as well as recharges, adjustments and reclassifications.
Assist the fiscal year closing process including preparing analysis, reconciliations and supporting schedules for financial reports and statements.
Respond to requests from campus administrators for financial information and questions.
Assist in developing and presenting training programs for end users e.g., accounting, internal polices/procedures and Summit system. Also assist in developing/reviewing accounting documentation e.g., Campus Policy and Procedure (CPP) documentation and web content.
Assist in maintaining financial tables and rules in People Soft Finance.
Provide backup support to Accounting Administrator
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelor's Degree in accounting or related field
- 1 to 3 years accounting experience preferably in University or large non-profit organization
- Intermediate skill level with Microsoft Excel and familiarity with Word, Power Point. Prefer working knowledge of PeopleSoft finance or other ERP system
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Knowledgeable of GAAP and GASB
- Higher education or non-profit experience
- Excellent organization skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to work as a team player and building strong interpersonal relationships and collaborating with all levels of the organization
- Experience with budget, accounting and reporting
- Ability to work independently, prioritize work time sensitive deadlines
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.