Academic Advisor - Dean's Office/Academic Services (part-time/non-benefited)
Job no: 493934
Position Type: Staff Part Time
Benefit Status: Non-Benefited – Non-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Deans Office/Academic Services
Applications Open: Dec 22 2017
Applications Close: Open until filled
General Summary of Position:
This is a part-time non-union professional academic advising position requiring an advanced, developmental, proactive problem solving approach to advisement to ensure students succeed academically and are fully engaged in their educational experience. This position will be part of a centrally coordinated campus-wide advising team and will be housed within an academic college. The primary responsibilities include advising a caseload of first time freshman and transfer students on program requirements and registration issues, degree planning, monitoring student progress, and identify and intervening with at-risk students. The position also involves assisting with the creation, implementation, and support of various activities and events promoting student engagement and community building. Participation in recruitment, outreach and orientation activities is also required.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelor's degree or higher in College Student Personnel/Higher Education Administration/ Counseling/ Psychology or related field PLUS
- Minimum of 2 years of full-time (or equivalent) experience working with college students at the undergraduate level. Also must possess excellent written and oral communication skills.
Will consider candidates with 5+ years of significant experience advising students in other related educational settings.
- Extensive experience with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Minimum of 2 years academic advising experience in a developmental setting
- General knowledge of the principles, practices, and trends in the area of advising, student services, and individual counseling techniques
- Experience with event and program planning is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required
- Strong skills with computer based applications and internet resources
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications and especially PeopleSoft Software (SiS) preferred
- A Master's degree in College Student Personnel/ Higher Education Administration/ Counseling/ Psychology or related field is strongly preferred
- Experience is preferred with implementation of solutions to facilitate student academic retention, success, and graduation
Special Instructions to Applicants:
This is a part-time non-union, non-benefited position.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.