Research Communications and Event Specialist
Job no: 494045
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Res Admin & Inst Compliance
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience
Applications Open: Feb 02 2018
Applications Close: Open until filled
General Summary of Position:
Under the direction of the Associate Vice Chancellor, and in close coordination with University Relations, support initiatives that enhance the visibility of UMass Lowell research, researchers, and centers/institutes. Produce content for publications, websites, and social media. Coordinate conferences, seminars and special events.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelor's degree required plus five years of experience with corporate or non-profit event planning, marketing and communications, or both; will consider candidates with HS Diploma or GED/equivalent and 10+ years of directly related experience
- Demonstrated excellence in written communications in a non-profit, corporate, or research setting
- Demonstrated ability to understand, interpret and work with the type of highly technical subject matter typical of academic research
- Demonstrated ability to make creative and appropriate use of social media platforms for marketing and public outreach;
- Working knowledge of AP style
- Communications or events management experience in a higher education setting
- Exceptional project management skills, ability to manage multiple projects, timelines and stakeholder groups concurrently
- Strong diplomacy skills for managing high-profile events and guests
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with internal departments, faculty, senior leadership and external vendors
- Understanding of principles, processes and terms used in marketing, public relations, publications, editing, copy editing, web development and graphic design
- Video production experience
- Experience with Tridion (or similar content management system), Vizio (or similar event diagramming tool), and 25Live (or similar event management software)
- Experience making travel arrangements
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.