Vice President, Portfolio Strategy
The Vice President (VP) for Portfolio Strategy is responsible for working closely with Western Governors University (WGU) academic and operational leadership to develop, implement and continuously refine a comprehensive strategic portfolio development plan. This plan will increase college year-over-year impact and drive program relevancy and reputation in alignment with the mission and values established by the university. This individual is an advocate for WGU degree programs with cross-functional departments to facilitate collaboration on organization-wide goals. The VP assesses current and potential programs to ensure the needs of WGU’s student population and industry trends are met.
- Leads the planning, evaluation, and review of university-wide strategic program portfolio development and evaluation cycles and practices
- Coordinates market research, strategic outreach planning, and high-level program strategy and business modeling to accomplish the mission of each college program portfolio and achieve the vision of the university
- Serves as the academic organizations’ business development liaison, assigned to WGU’s portfolio of colleges
- Collaborates effectively with leadership in Marketing, Strategic Relations, Institutional Research, Finance, and Government Affairs to broaden the program development funnel in alignment with WGU’s wider strategic aims
- Develops and maintains strategic relationships with market research, business intelligence, third-party providers, community colleges, military, and other partnerships
- Develop and execute strategic program and portfolio goals
- Direct college activities and results across cross-functional teams
- Coach and develop direct reports
- Manage teams, including those in a remote environment, while demonstrating excellence, integrity, and respect
- Work effectively in a highly matrixed organization
- Build relationships and influence at all levels, both internally and externally
- Be an agent of change in a rapidly changing environment
- Proven ability to analyze data to identify trends and drive innovation
- Sound judgement and decision-making skills
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
Thinks Strategically: Applies broad strategic direction, with university-wide impact and in a distributed organization context. Anticipates beyond short term and thinks critically.
Executes and Achieves Results: Focused on results, not just activity. Exceptional skill and demonstrated success in delivering and improving results in a higher education, senior leadership role. Strong bias for, and practical experience in, measuring and improving
Managerial Courage: Wiling to tackle difficult topics and conventional thinking in a respectful and productive manner. Doesn’t hold anything back that needs to be said.
Thinks Big/Innovation: Formulates a bold vision, sees around corners, and inspires results. Fosters creativity, and brings innovation successfully to market. Sets new standards that enhances WGU and benefit students.
Develops Teams and Individuals: Defines success in terms of the whole team, creates a feeling of belonging. Hires and develops top talent and future WGU leaders.
Fiscal Responsibility: Clear ownership and delivery of revenue and cost budgets.
Leads Change: is an agent for change. Influences others to accept change. Effectively demonstrates own ability to change, shifts gears comfortably, decides and acts without having the complete picture; comfortably handles risk and uncertainty.
- BS/BA minimum; Master’s or PhD degree in management, business administration, finance, marketing or related field preferred
- Minimum five years of experience with proven success in education programming strategy and business development required
- Knowledge of the higher education sector and a depth of expertise in conceptualizing and prioritizing strategic direction
- Education or operational experience in finance or marketing preferred
- Understanding of education policy, market trends, and accreditation regulations
Other: Ability to travel is required.
Location: Salt Lake City, UT. Relocation assistance is available.
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States