IT Service Desk Lead
*This position is open to current WGU employees only**
IT Service Desk Service Lead acts as the spokesperson between the supervisor and team. Provides updates and information on the team’s progress in meetings or through regular email contact and/or reports. Service Leads are responsible for delegating tasks and negotiating workloads, but do not have the accountability to hire/fire, and offer limited input into the performance review process, including coaching/counseling employees. Service Leads do the same core duties as the Service Desk Tier 1 Technician (est. 75% of the time), but might handle the more difficult tasks, troubleshoot, train, and coordinate schedules (est. 25% of the time). Service Leads are non-exempt employees that lead non-exempt employees.
- The Service Lead position core duties will be the following:
- Receive calls, emails and web-tickets for end users and other WGU Staff / help desks, and create Incident tickets or Service Request tickets, logging all pertinent information,
- Provides initial assessment of categorization and prioritization for reported Incidents and Service Requests and provides initial support, targeting a higher level of first contact resolution
- Ensures Incidents and Service Requests are properly escalated and assigned to appropriate Educational Technology support groups
- Perform hierarchical escalation to help desk Management and the Educational Technology Leadership Group
- Maintains ownership of Incidents, ensuring timely entry, updating, and closure of all tickets and issues.
- Additionally, the Service Lead position will be responsible for the following:
- Queue Supervision in absence of Supervisors (vacation, illness, training, events)
- Act as a Spokesperson for the team
- Task Force for any high-level/hot ticket initiatives
- Ticket Queue Auditing
- Targeted PR/Outage coordination and communication as directed by Supervisor
- Escalated ticket handling before approaching Tier 2
- Shadow/Reverse Shadow developing agents
- Delegating and assigning tickets/tasks/workload as appropriate
- Act as a liaison between Tier 1 and Tier 2
- POC’s during outages, tasked with any detailed troubleshooting as requested from Tier 2/3/etc.
Strong analytical skills balanced with effective communication and excellent customer service skills.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently, analyze problems, and make decisions with minimal management intervention.
- Proactively involve key technology infrastructure teams when necessary.
- Ability to anticipate potential obstacles and develop contingency plans to overcome them.
- Awareness of new and existing technologies, architectures, and best practice.
- Ability to manage multiple issues simultaneously in high-pressure environment where change is commonplace.
- Individual must be able to handle multiple interrupts and be able to multi-task effectively.
- Ability to diligently follow standards and best practices for many different technology areas.
- Appropriate Technical Support experience and knowledge required for Level 1-2 Agents.
- Windows and Macintosh platforms.
- Multiple Internet Browsers.
- Support for remote and local staff and students.
- Some technical background across infrastructure technologies, e.g. network, voice, Unix.
- The individual must have 2+ years of Industry experience.
- High School Diploma.
- CompTIA A+ Certification.
- ITIL Foundations desired, but not essential.
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States