Groundskeeper - Level I, REQ-217
Under general supervision, performs a variety of duties related to the maintenance of outdoor lighting, walkways, patios, signs, irrigation systems, tennis courts, volleyball courts, and athletic facilities in a College setting. Establish and maintain a variety of plant life. Use and maintain all related equipment. Maintain grounds in a clean, orderly, and safe condition.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Grounds Manager performs or works independently/collaboratively to perform the following essential duties and responsibilities:
- Mow lawns; rake leaves; sweep walkways; plant, cultivate, fertilize, prune, trim and otherwise maintain, lawns, flowers, ground covers, shrubs and trees.
- Utilize powered blowers, lawn mowers, edgers, hedge trimmers and other powered equipment.
- Under close supervision, apply weed control chemicals. Set out bait and/or traps for gophers, ground squirrels and the like, and dispose of carcasses in accordance with procedures.
- Assist with graffiti removal.
- Maintain equipment. Clean and maintain all non-powered equipment.
- Clean building roofs and gutters; remove and dispose of trash and other debris.
- Maintain inventory of all assigned tools, supplies and equipment.
- Participate in composting and mulching activities.
- Participate in lining of athletic fields.
- Perform minor repairs as requested. Report repairs as needed.
- Performs other essential duties and tasks specific to the position.
OTHER ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this position.
- Ability to take and follow directions.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others.
- Ability to receive and respond appropriately to constructive criticism.
- Ability to display a positive attitude.
- Ability to multitask.
EDUCATION: Any combination of education, training and/or experience equivalent to High School Diploma or GED that provides the required knowledge, skills and ability.
EXPERIENCE: A minimum of one year paid employment experience in groundskeeping assignments is preferred.
LICENSES: A valid driver’s license is required to drive college-owned vehicles and the ability to be insured under the College’s authorized driver’s policy.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be able to stand, walk, bend, climb, push, pull, stoop, twist, stretch, and lift up to 50 pounds from the ground to waist level without assistance. Must be able to climb ladders up to 6 feet unassisted and work on feet for prolonged periods of time. Must take and successfully pass a functional capacity test after job offer and prior to hire.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES: Individual must possess knowledge, skills, and ability to be able to successfully perform the essential functions of the position, or be able to explain or demonstrate how the essential functions will be performed, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge skills and abilities.
- Operate the College’s vehicles safely for campus-related work and meet all insurance-related requirements.
- Must possess knowledge of maintenance, use, safe operation, and repair of cleaning supplies, tools and equipment. Must have knowledge of cleaning chemicals.
- Must have knowledge of safe working methods and procedures.
- Must be able to effectively and efficiently clean and maintain an assigned area within a predetermined time schedule.
- Must be able to establish daily priorities.
- Must be able to adapt successfully to changing situations or circumstances.
- Requires ability to learn proper use of fire extinguishers.
- Must be able to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others.
- Must have ability to work well without continuous supervision.
- Must wear uniforms and safety equipment as required.
- Must be able to understand and follow basic instructions in English, both orally and written.
REQUIRED HOURS: The regular hours for this full time position are 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday – Friday. Overtime, holiday, weekend and evening work hours may be required. Regular hours may vary due to needs of the College or division. This is a 12 month position.
CLASSIFICATION AND STATUS:
- This is a non-exempt position.
- This is a regular, full-time position.
- This is a benefits-eligible position.
IPEDS Category Job Code: 37-0000 Building and Grounds Cleaning and Maintenance Occ
Physical Requirements: Heavy (up to 50 lbs.)
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None
GROOMING AND APPEARANCE: The Claremont Colleges seek to maintain a neat and professional image at all times. A uniform is required and will be provided.
BACKGROUND CHECK: The successful candidate will be required to undergo a full consumer background check. This position will require the successful completion of a post-offer physical agility test. Employment is contingent on the satisfactory results of the aforementioned, in addition to compliance with requirements cited in this job description.
ADA/OSHA: This job description defines the essential or fundamental job duties of this position. It is assumed that employees hired for this position can perform the essential functions of this job without imposing risk of substantial harm to the health or safety of themselves or others. It may also include marginal functions, generally defined within Title 1 of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
DISCLAIMER: This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position. When duties and responsibilities change and develop, the College will review this job description and make changes of business necessity.