Music Full-Time Instructor
Music Full-Time Instructor
West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 4/9/2018
The Cilker School of Art & Design at West Valley College is now accepting applications for a full-time, tenure-track instructor in the Department of Music and Dance to direct the band and jazz program. The successful candidate will possess the ability to teach Symphonic Band and Jazz Band. Candidates with experience in teaching any of the following courses are strongly encouraged to apply: jazz history/ appreciation; commercial music curricula; applied lessons (preferably on a wood- wind or brass instrument).
Applicants will share their capacity to succeed in an open access, integrated,
interdisciplinary teaching and learning environment. Applicants who have the knowledge, skills and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a linguistically and culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply.
West Valley College, just minutes from the heart of Silicon Valley, is in a beautiful, park-like setting on 143 wooded acres.This is an exciting time to join the Department of Music and Dance in the Cilker School of Art & Design. The Department of Music and Dance is scheduled to occupy new state-of-the-art facilities in 2020, with three performance venues. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to participate in the programming and design of this new building, impacting the quality of education for decades to come.
West Valley College has prioritized the advancement and expansion of education in the visual & performing arts, and has demonstrated the highest level of administrative and financial support for these programs in the Cilker School of Art and Design.
This is a full-time, 10-month, tenure-track position that begins in Fall 2018. Instructional assignments may include day and/or evening classes, Monday through Saturday, as needed and rotate among the Music faculty. It is expected that over several semesters all levels of Music offered at the college will be taught. This position is represented by the West Valley-Mission Federation of Teachers (WVMFT / AFT Local 6554).
Work location: West Valley College, Saratoga, CA
Salary and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range:
- $61,553 to $95,792 annually, based upon academic achievement, teaching and related experience (Academic Salary Schedule, Steps 1-9).
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse and dependents.
- Employer paid long term disability for employee.
- Voluntary life insurance.
- Sabbatical, Rejuvenation and Retraining Leaves.
- Banked leave provisions.
- Professional Growth and Development activities.
- 10 days sick leave accrued annually; personal necessity and catastrophic leave.
- Conference leaves.
- Opportunity for overload assignments.
- Cal STRS Retirement.
- Position is union affiliated with required dues.
1. Education - Possess one of the following:
- Master’s degree in music; OR
- Bachelor’s degree in music AND master’s degree in humanities; OR
- A valid California Community College Instructor’s Credential in Music; OR
- The equivalent of the above.
2. Understanding of, and sensitivity to the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Instructional duties and assignments may consist of one or more of the following:
- Provide instruction for assigned courses. This includes preparation, in class activities, evaluation of students’ work, consultation with students outside of class (scheduling time beyond normal office hours if necessary), maintenance of currency in the subjects taught and other efforts related to the teaching of the assigned classes.
- Maintain accurate class and other records conforming with state requirements and stated district and college needs.
- Submit, when due, all necessary reports, such as attendance, grade reports, rosters, classes and office hour schedules.
- Follow course outline for each course with the appropriate division offices.
- Post and maintain office hours each week in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement.
- Observe, support and enforce the regulations, policies and programs of the District and college.
- Provide each student with a written course syllabus as per instructions in the Faculty handbook at the beginning of the course.
- Refer students to appropriate college sources for information on counseling and other student services.
- Assist students by providing advice on requirements for successful achievement in the member’s area of expertise.
- Work cooperatively within the college community.
- Foster an environment that protects academic freedom within the college community.
- Foster a positive working environment that is free from harassment, prejudice, and/or bias.
- Demonstrate positive communication skills within the college community.
- Demonstrate a respect for the dignity of each individual.
For more information on this position and to apply, please visit our website at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741-2174 to arrange for assistance.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.