Assistant Controller - Financial Reporting
Responsible for developing/administering policies and procedures, budgetary decisions, extensive scope/impact of decisions on both internal and external contacts. Some functions include administration/management of a dept of division that may have 1 or more Assistant/Associate Directors, in addition to other Exempt and Non-Exempt level staff. This is an "advanced" level position.
The University seeks an individual with excellent customer services skills and ability to interact with a diverse workforce to manage the financial accounting operations for the Universitys Fiscal Services operations, including GL accounting, financial reporting, accounting for capital projects, student activities and auxiliary enterprises. Employee will be responsible for day-to-day operations of the financial accounting area of the Fiscal Services Office. This includes establishing accounting guidelines an procedures necessary to comply with institutional policies and state regulations, assist the Associate Controller in preparation of various fiscal reports and perform the duties of the Associate Controller in his/her absence. Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Supervise accounting staff related to general ledger, treasury management, asset management, agency accounts and account reconciliations.
- Treasury management including investments and bank wires and analysis of cash flow needs to optimize investment returns for the University.
- Responsible for all aspects of general ledger accounting including timely monthly reconciliations for all accounts and appropriate documentation for reconciliations.
- Develop system controls for ensuring data integrity.
- Research proper accounting treatment per GASB and GAAP.
- Serve as lead on developing business procedures and policy for the University and ensures compliance with State laws and BOR Policies.
- Provide decision support for analysis and management of the Universitys financial resources.
- Assist with the development, implementation and monitoring of plans, decisions and initiatives relevant to the Office of Fiscal Affairs.
- As directed, undertake ad hoc projects and manage same to the review and implementation stage.
- Assist with the maintenance of financial controls.
- Develop training materials, guidelines and other tools to assist with financial management requirements.
- Provide input and advice on business process improvement opportunities within Fiscal Services.
- Assist the Associate Controller with the following: Year-end financial closing; production of annual financial reports; coordination of annual audit activities.
- Prepare oral and written presentations for internal and external correspondence and/or consultations.
- Provide support, advice and assistance to management with respect to development and coordination of financial management reporting and related processes.
- Assist with preparation of Quarterly Budget to Actuals Report and Trend Analysis.
- Monthly analysis and review of KSUs financials system.
- Review Schedule of Expenditures of Federal Awards (SEFA) and reconcile to the Statement of Revenues, Expenses and Changes in Net Position.
- Reconcile the FISAP to the Annual Financial Report.
- Prepare the Nonprofit Report, Annual Expenditure Report and other annual financial reports as needed.
- Undertake other duties as assigned by Controller and Associate Controller.
As part of the background check process, this position WILL require a satisfactory Consumer Credit check as a condition of employment. See http://hr.kennesaw.edu/managers/docs/Credit_check_criteria.pdf for specific policy guidelines.
Kennesaw State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and/or veteran status.
Bachelor's degree and 9+ years comparable/related experience; management/supervisory skills are required.
- Exhibit strong interpersonal skills, provide collaborative leadership, be adaptable and flexible and build effective working relationships with constituents internal and external to the University.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with demonstrated ability to communicate professionally and effectively with customers internal and external to the University.
- Experience in supervising staff and managing a department with demonstrated ability to provide effective leadership, vision, professional development and training to ensure individual staff development and achievement of organizational goals while providing high levels of customer service and continuous improvement in fiscal areas.
- Analytical and management skills.
- Understanding of BOR policy, University policy and understanding of Peoplesoft Financials. Demonstrate current knowledge of GASB, FASB, GAAP pronouncements that impact University financial and research systems; best practices in internal controls over financial reporting.
- Proficiency of personal computer software and the ability to interface with complex financial accounting and administrative information systems.
- Masters degree in business related field.